Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My apologies if this type of problem has been already addressed, I searched but couldn't find anything.

I recently acquired a 1991 N14 Pulsar M1-D, as some sort of repayment from a person who owes me a lot of money :)

Anyway, what I know of the car is this:

It was brought by its previous owner after having the diesel running gear removed and replaced by running gear out of a similar age (N14) X1R. So to the best of my knowledge, it has a GA16DE, and the transmission, dashboard, fueltank/lines, etc has been replaced by the X1R gear. It was running at the time when previous owner brought it, but misfiring somewhat.

When I acquired it, it had been sitting for 7-8 months without being started. I put the misfiring problem down to the fact the distributor cap/rotor were stuffed. So I replaced the plugs, leads and distributor. The car still would not start. So I figured maybe it was a fuel problem. So I tripped fuel straight in the intake manifold. Car started and ran for a minute or two. So I checked the fuel line, found a blocked fuel filter which I replaced. The injectors seem to be clicking in and out, now there is plenty of fuel pressure to the fuel rail. Still wouldn't start, so I did my fuel in manifold trick again, and got it running. The car kept running and started idling smoothly after a while so I drove it around for a bit. Unsure what to do, I left it for a 3-4 hours, came back, and it started again. But the next morning, it wouldn't start again. My knowledge of engines is not exceptional, and this is pretty much the limit of my knowledge.

My next though is perhaps the auto choke is not functioning correctly? My old man had a listen and said it sounded as if it needed a bit of choke? I assume it has some sort of temperature sensor (thermocouple or RTD?) that sends a signal back to the computer to adjust the choke? I don't know where to find this on the motor though, or if this is an unlikely problem.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
sounds like a coolant temperature sensor issue
int eh ga16de it senses the engine temperature, if the wire is loose it should send a code to the ecu, and the fans will spin fast, if its bad maybe its giving a bad reading. find it and check it

·
Super Moderator
3,203 Posts
do yourself a favor and check the resistance on the ignition coil. theyre very sensitive to temperature once they go bad. it doesnt take much either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts