Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok here's what i got, a 96' 200sx w/ ga16de auto. my friend bought a 91 sentra xe for 500 bux as a beater car. i was wondering if this tranny would bolt on the my engine. i also would like to know if the shift linkage and axles would fit also. one more thing does anybody know how hard this swap would be?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I dont understand WHY U would want to bolt on a 91 tranny to your 96????

·
Registered
139 Posts
but has anyone done a wrightup on the swap????? i can do it but i need some refrence haha. Im not about to pay $800 fr the install.......:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
You might wanna pay $800 after you give up trying to install it :). Yeah, I would at least stay in the same year range like 95-98/99 or whatever.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i wont give up!!!!! I have 4 uncals who are ASE certafide transmision techs........ And i have a Shop with lift and everything els nessary to do the swap at my disposal.......:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats what i want to do is to give up the auto tranny for the manual. from what u guys are saying i think that i'm starting to feel a little discouraged. i still want to do the swap, but is there anymore problems that i may run into when trying to the swap?? i know that im gonna have to drill new holes for the pedals. more info would be appreciated

·
Registered
500 Posts
I got this email from a guy that hangs out on the sr20deforum.com forum site who had done the swap on his SR20 and he sent me this when I asked him about it. The procedure should be the same for the GA16 engine.

---

i have doen the swap on my b14 se-l i have the sr engine in it also but the swap should be the same for ga or sr. i had to buy a new cross member, trans mounts, trans mount brakets, shiter rods, shifter, shifter boot, clutch pedal, brake pedal, cable, speed sensor, neutral safety switch, and crank position sensor, and some more little misc parts. i got the trans for free with flywheel so that was the only reason i did the swap. as for removing the old tranny and installing the new one in its pretty straight forward. only thing is you must remove the automatic trans pilot bushing. i just packed it full of thick silicone grease and used a socket to pop it out. then put the new pilot bushing in from your clutch kit and start installing the new trans. nothing really turned out to be hard. only thing that will be a problem is cutting a hole for the cable to fit thru for the clutch pedal since it has to come in at an angle i had to make 3 holes and one is slightly visible from the engine bay but only if you look for it. as far as mounting the clutch pedal there is already one hole for a bolt already there. i had to rewire my reverse lights and extend the crank position sensor wiring. i still can start the car like it is automatic but i wired in a kill switch for now. i dont know if i'll wire in the nuetral safety switch or not. i also need to rewire my cruise control since its differnt wiring. i still am using my auto ecu with no problem just trans code's will trip the mil light

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the info. i think that i'm still gonna go through the swap.:D

·
One and only (sr20)
229 Posts
Accually it was not really that are. It took just has long to do that as it would to swap the engines. Think about it, you have to replace every thing any way I might as well switch it to a manual. You have to change the axels,tranny,and crossmember. So I just had to get linkage and pedals.

·
1.6 Turbo Power
718 Posts
i will *hopefully* be doing the swap soon at my old high school auto tech. need to ask my past teacher to see if hes going to let me use it, otherwise ill have to take it to a shop. if i do it myself, ill be sure to make a writeup w/ pics. wish me luck :cool:

·
One and only (sr20)
229 Posts
Here I will let you figure it out.Here is what you need.

Shifter assembly

shift linkage

Transmission

clutch cable

clutch and brake pedal

trans mounts

crossmember

1 - 17 of 17 Posts