Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... From the beginning....

Last week my tranny was slipping a whole lot. It is a 1997 200SX SE-R, automatic transmission. I luckily found one in a salvage yard for $350 including a warranty and shipping and only 11,000 miles. I was pretty happy about this. The transmission had 105K miles on it which is way early to be going out, but I admit I didnt take care of it well. We put the new one in and if shifts like a dream. Well, it SHIFTED like a dream. After maybe 20-30 miles on the new tranny, it slips into neutral and seems to be stuck. I checked the shifter cable and it is doing it's job. I pulled out some of the plugs and reseated them without any luck. Like I said before, it was shifting like a dream and sounded terrific. So I am thinking (and hoping) this could be something stupid like a plug coming loose. I am going to deal with it some more later, but I am at work now. The transmission never made any icky noises before it stopped working. I guess I am just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on this. I am stuck (litterally) and am wondering if there are any things I should definately look at before towing it and dropping the tranny back out. If you have any advice, it would be MUCH appreciated. I do not know how this transmission works.

Thanks.

Brian

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a chance to drain the tranny and look in the pan. The fluid seemed to have aluminum flake in it. I don't know what is aluminum that could have gotton ground up like that. I know it wasnt gears because the magnets in the pan did not collect the flake. Please someone, please help! :)

Thanks,

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to a tranny pro and according to him, if you all are interested, he said it sounds like the pump. Like I said before, I dont completely understand auto trannys but who really does. This would have been caused by the torque converter not being pushed in all the way. The torque converter holds the fluid and spins right there where it connects to the motor by the flywheel. It apparently put too much pressure on the pump and I guess shreaded a part up. This is, from what I was told, a hydrolic pump to engage the tranny. This explains the fact that there was no slipping and at a certain point, it just stopped engaging. Keep this in mind if you ever change one. Just because it fits, does not mean its running the way it should be. Luckily, my old tranny had stripped gears and/or clutchplates so I should be good to use that pump. I will go ahead and buy a new one if it isnt too much but you know how it can be.

I am glad it's something not major. Now I guess its time to tear this tranny apart. Wish me luck!

B

P.S. If anyone can correct me in anything I said that was wrong, that would be great. I am not claiming I explained that perfect but it made some sense to me. Learn from my mistake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts