Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
K-1 said:
I think that whoever rebuilt your transmission should be responsible for making sure that it works after they give it back to you. If I dropped $1,000 on rebuilding a tranny, and then it stopped working a few days/weeks/months later, I'd bring it right back to them and have them repair it free of charge. If they refused I'd threaten legal action.

Whatever you decide to do though, good luck. My best advice is find a shop your can trust and feel comfortable with, otherwise it may not be money well spent...
The guy who is rebuilding it has paid for all the trips back to a tranny shop and I now know what the problem is exactly the valve body is cracked and now I am on the hunt for that. The car was put on diagnostic and it found all kinds of problems inside the valve body, which was the only part not replaced I have looked and found a couple of shops willing to locate me just the valve body although new its outrageous I am just tired of waiting I guess and the guy working on my car wasn't telling me much until I told him about this forum and how I was trying to learn more on my own. He got mad about the differential and told me that my car had none until I read yesterdays post and called and told him what was said here now he knows that at least someone besides himself knows something about cars. As far as money goes he told me that I didnt have to pay him anything or for any parts but if it can't be fixed that money already gone I just want my car so I may just buy a new tranny if I can't find a valve body. Thank you alll for advice and an awakening on being more detailed
:kiss:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good job, sounds like a resolution. Valve bodys can be tough to find, and a crappy used one could make a perfect auto tranny function poorly. Try to find a place besides a Nissan dealer to buy a new one from, it may be tough, but it could save you hundreds of dollars.

and try not to embarass the mechanics with all this new info ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Im having roughly the same problem. My transmission doesnt go for about anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes after i put it in drive, however, all the other gears work. Nissan wants $1600 to put a new one in. I dont have the resources or capabilities of doing it myself, otherwise i would. And strangely enough, $1600 is the cheapest price ive found thus far.

·
I should be azRS13...
1,021 Posts
Just a thought but wont the Valve body from a 94-96 altima work? It might be different because its FWD but can some one correct me if Im wrong?... I mean The majority of altima's are automatic and Seeing how they both run off the same engine?

·
Registered
87 Posts
azRPS13 said:
Just a thought but wont the Valve body from a 94-96 altima work? It might be different because its FWD but can some one correct me if Im wrong?... I mean The majority of altima's are automatic and Seeing how they both run off the same engine?
I dont think that is possible. the transmissions are totally different.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Orbital199 said:
Im having roughly the same problem. My transmission doesnt go for about anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes after i put it in drive, however, all the other gears work. Nissan wants $1600 to put a new one in. I dont have the resources or capabilities of doing it myself, otherwise i would. And strangely enough, $1600 is the cheapest price ive found thus far.
Its expensive I have over 800 dollars in parts alone and looking at another 250 if I can find a valve body. At worst now I wil buy another tranny from a junkyard and use the valve body in mine. Good luck I felt my car was worth it no other mechanical problems or anything I am only the second owner.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
azRPS13 said:
I found a transmission shop in South Bend who is willing to find me a valve body if one can be found and I don't think that will work the shop told me there are 5 different valve bodies for this car and the guy working on it has rebuilt several trannies but said he has seen none like this!

·
Registered
129 Posts
lillinda317 said:
Its expensive I have over 800 dollars in parts alone and looking at another 250 if I can find a valve body. At worst now I wil buy another tranny from a junkyard and use the valve body in mine. Good luck I felt my car was worth it no other mechanical problems or anything I am only the second owner.
I agree, im the third owner of my 89 240. Rather then putting in a new transmission everyone keeps telling me to buy a new car but the car just means too much to me to get rid of. It needs a little bit of body work but otherwise its an absolutely beautiful car. If i could keep it forever i would. It has more sentimental value then money value.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Orbital199 said:
I agree, im the third owner of my 89 240. Rather then putting in a new transmission everyone keeps telling me to buy a new car but the car just means too much to me to get rid of. It needs a little bit of body work but otherwise its an absolutely beautiful car. If i could keep it forever i would. It has more sentimental value then money value.
I LOVE my car and was told the same thing mine has no body damage has been zbarted perfect interior and in that car I am beautiful!!!lol or hopefullly will be soon!

·
Tarmac Terrorist
272 Posts
If my Job works out the way i expect it to I hope to be a Supervisor soon, that means i'll be taking in a Salary, so i'm gonna try to buy a New Nissan Altima SE-R when I pay my 240 off.
Once that goes well I am keeping my 240 forever, no matter what happens, I am never going to sell it, even if it ends up as a lawn ornament, I Love my car!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the problem is that i was spoiled on my first car which is a 240. Now when it comes down to possibly having to get a new car i cant see any better options then a 240. If i had to get a new car i would probably stick with nissan but even the other models dont interest me as much as the 240 does. The body style just seemed so ahead of its time for the 89s. It has a timeless figure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
BACK ON THE ROAD AGAIN

MY CAR IS BACK ON THE ROAD I ended up picking up another tranny at a junk yard and switching out the valve body and here I go!! Thanks for the advice and listening to me B***H I will be back hopefully not to get advice,LOL I hope not to have to sink any more money into this car for awhile!!!!
Linda :cheers:

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
lillinda317 said:
MY CAR IS BACK ON THE ROAD I ended up picking up another tranny at a junk yard and switching out the valve body and here I go!! Thanks for the advice and listening to me B***H I will be back hopefully not to get advice,LOL I hope not to have to sink any more money into this car for awhile!!!!
Linda :cheers:
When you do come back, post some pictures of yourself on the Yearbook, or directly into my email account. It's hard to come by XX's on the NissanForums. You're a rare and much sought after minority.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hey guys the car isn't on the road we put the new tranny in and had the same problem. Put the car in gear nothing no click no movement none of the gears!
Guess what the problem is and probably was but I have already bought another
tranny to fix what I thought was a valve body and it's a sensor! I guess the tranny shop running the diagnostic check wanted money. I will be back on later to hopefully tell you she is back on the road my mechanic has built race cars and worked on EVERY car I have owned and this tranny has given him hell he says its the most complicated thing he has ever seen and is so happy nothing else is wrong with my car cause I would be SOL.
I will definatly keep in touch cause I think maybe I will do my own next oil change.........LOL
Linda

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Orbital199 said:
Glad things worked out for you. Wish me luck, i have to drop off my car to get the transmission rebuilt today.
Good Luck!!!!! I had a friend rebuild mine he thought he could save me money and in the end didn't you are doing the right thing by putting it in a shop my buddy says these trannys are different than any hes seen.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
lillinda317 said:
Good Luck!!!!! I had a friend rebuild mine he thought he could save me money and in the end didn't you are doing the right thing by putting it in a shop my buddy says these trannys are different than any hes seen.
I highly recommend the 5 speed conversion. The 5 speed transmission is just a standard, run of the mill trans. Also, it's really hot when chicks know how to handle a shifter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
bridrive55 said:
I highly recommend the 5 speed conversion. The 5 speed transmission is just a standard, run of the mill trans. Also, it's really hot when chicks know how to handle a shifter.
I love a 5 speed learned how to drive in one!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
That sucks. I hope that your old transmission + valve body was in need of replacement, so that it was not all in vain.

I hate replacing $1000 of parts to find out it was the $20 sensor that was broken...

It would have been the best time to change from auto -> 5spd when your tranny was F'd and needed rebuilding. But at this point in the process, changing to 5spd would be a waste of money, unless you can sell the newly rebuilt auto tranny for some $$$.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts