Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my transmission rebuilt and it still won't move. What else could it be? This transmission has been tested and it test fine. I love my little car and can't wait to be behind the wheel of this car any advice would be appriciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prelude Guy said:
Did you change the clutch when you reinstalled it?
Its an automatic. The torque converter and front pump were bought new the transmission was rebuilt.We just can't figure out what the problem is. I put it in the shop and they are doing a diagnostic test on it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
lillinda317 said:
Its an automatic. The torque converter and front pump were bought new the transmission was rebuilt.We just can't figure out what the problem is. I put it in the shop and they are doing a diagnostic test on it.
Have you checked the differential? If something broke in there and got stuck in the gears, I don't think you'd be moving.

The engine runs fine?

does it go into gear and change gears?

does it seem to try and lurch in gear, and something is stopping it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K-1 said:
Have you checked the differential? If something broke in there and got stuck in the gears, I don't think you'd be moving.

The engine runs fine?

does it go into gear and change gears?

does it seem to try and lurch in gear, and something is stopping it?

The motor in this car is excellent.

You can put the car in drive but it doesn't do a thing you don't feel it shift or anything almost as if there is no transmission at all. It don't lurch or anything no unusual sound, grinding or anything. I accidently put motor oil in it instead of transmission fluid which is why it quit!

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,721 Posts
lillinda317 said:
I accidently put motor oil in it instead of transmission fluid which is why it quit!
You just answered your question!! A very expensive mistake. Have you ever heard of ATF?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rogoman said:
You just answered your question!! A very expensive mistake. Have you ever heard of ATF?
I will not post or even view this web site obviously I realized my mistake when my tranny quit working and I love this car and want to learn more about it. I don't think this web site is the place. Why would someone who knows MY car doesn't have a diffential ask me if I checked it? Laugh on me! Yes as a matter of fact I know what ATF is. OK I am done with this.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
lillinda317 said:
I will not post or even view this web site obviously I realized my mistake when my tranny quit working and I love this car and want to learn more about it. I don't think this web site is the place. Why would someone who knows MY car doesn't have a diffential ask me if I checked it? Laugh on me! Yes as a matter of fact I know what ATF is. OK I am done with this.
Actually, your car does have a "diffential." Seriously, we have no chance of helping you if you can't better describe your problem. "I got my tranny rebuilt and my car doesn't work!" What are we going to say? "Oh, yeah, that's becuase the fluid in the transmission has an improper viscosity rating!" For Chrit's sake, at least give us something to work with before flipping out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
lillinda317 said:
Why would someone who knows MY car doesn't have a diffential ask me if I checked it?
Your car deffinatly has a differential. If it isn't a Limited slip differential, than it is an Open-differential. But every car needs to have one, otherwise the power could only go to one wheel.

Im not quite sure why your so angry right now, instead of blowing up at the people trying to help you, maybe you should elaborate on your situation so that we can help you, cause right now, there isn't enough information to do so.

Was the engine oil put into the tranny before you had it rebuilt? or did you have a rebuilt tranny that you accidentally put the oil into?

cause if you paid someone to rebuild it, than it should be working, and if it doesn't, it is their problem.

another question, when you change the gear selection, does it feel normal on the shift knob, like, it slides into each selection and sticks in there? Or does it feel like it's loose? Cause the shifter linkage may have been reinstalled incorrectly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
K-1 said:
Your car deffinatly has a differential. If it isn't a Limited slip differential, than it is an Open-differential. But every car needs to have one, otherwise the power could only go to one wheel.

Im not quite sure why your so angry right now, instead of blowing up at the people trying to help you, maybe you should elaborate on your situation so that we can help you, cause right now, there isn't enough information to do so.

Was the engine oil put into the tranny before you had it rebuilt? or did you have a rebuilt tranny that you accidentally put the oil into?

cause if you paid someone to rebuild it, than it should be working, and if it doesn't, it is their problem.

another question, when you change the gear selection, does it feel normal on the shift knob, like, it slides into each selection and sticks in there? Or does it feel like it's loose? Cause the shifter linkage may have been reinstalled incorrectly.
Ok I am sorry I wasn't more detailed. I put motor oil in the tranny accidently and like the car so much nothing else wrong with it and I decided to have the tranny rebuilt, the front pump and the torque converter were replaced new the rest of it rebuilt. We hooked it back up and the tranny did not work so back off it came and it got broke back down and then we put it in the shop, put it on a diagnostic which found no problems??? Wondered about that so they broke it down again and now its back in another shop and so far diagnostic has found a couple springs or something. MY main issue is I know nothing about this car and I am at the mercy of what people tell me and I am also out quite a bit of $ at this point and am wondering if its time to quit. The guy who is working on it says differentials are only in 4 wheel drives so now I am wondering if he is qualified to even mess with it. So from this point on I would appriciate in advice or help. Thank you.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
He means front differentials. This car is RWD, so there is no differential for the front wheels. If I were you, I would never have a transmission rebuilt, I would just replace it. Junkyard shopping is the way to go. You could probably pick up an auto from one of the many people doing auto to manual conversions, and prolly for cheap too. What point is the car at right now? Does it run? Is it in the shop? Sorry for being harsh before.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bridrive55 said:
He means front differentials. This car is RWD, so there is no differential for the front wheels. If I were you, I would never have a transmission rebuilt, I would just replace it. Junkyard shopping is the way to go. You could probably pick up an auto from one of the many people doing auto to manual conversions, and prolly for cheap too. What point is the car at right now? Does it run? Is it in the shop? Sorry for being harsh before.

There isn't a junkyard within 300 miles that had an automatic transmission for this car I called and called. Yes the car runs great nothing wrong with the motor or tranny before I put oil in it! The tranny itself is in the shop and I was told they found a couple springs that were not right and something to do with a crack in a valve body? The name of that I'm not sure of. At this point I am out no more money but want my car. I have decided if they put it back in and it still don't work I will buy a new tranny and be out another 1000.00. But this car I feel is worth it no body damage no interior damage 2 owner car. Thanks for the help I do know some things about cars and could actually change my own oil or change the spark plugs but the only thing I knew about trannys was to put it in gear and go.
Linda :cheers:

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
lillinda317 said:
There isn't a junkyard within 300 miles that had an automatic transmission for this car I called and called. Yes the car runs great nothing wrong with the motor or tranny before I put oil in it! The tranny itself is in the shop and I was told they found a couple springs that were not right and something to do with a crack in a valve body? The name of that I'm not sure of. At this point I am out no more money but want my car. I have decided if they put it back in and it still don't work I will buy a new tranny and be out another 1000.00. But this car I feel is worth it no body damage no interior damage 2 owner car. Thanks for the help I do know some things about cars and could actually change my own oil or change the spark plugs but the only thing I knew about trannys was to put it in gear and go.
Linda :cheers:
Where in Indiana are you? I just applied for an $80,000 scholarship to IU Bloomington. I hope I get the cash... If I do, I'm going there for the next 3-5 years.
$1000 is a serious load of money... I feel sorry for you if that's what you have to cough up. I don't know if a stock transmission is worth it. Check out EBay. The shipping might be a lot, but you could get an auto or a 5-speed for not a lot of cash. Good luck you to you, however. :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bridrive55 said:
Where in Indiana are you? I just applied for an $80,000 scholarship to IU Bloomington. I hope I get the cash... If I do, I'm going there for the next 3-5 years.
$1000 is a serious load of money... I feel sorry for you if that's what you have to cough up. I don't know if a stock transmission is worth it. Check out EBay. The shipping might be a lot, but you could get an auto or a 5-speed for not a lot of cash. Good luck you to you, however. :cool:

I am in Indianapolis, and I will check ebay. The guy who rebuilt the tranny assures me that it will work this time or he will buy me another one however I am unsure of him and my car. I will look on ebay I just know this car is worth saving.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
lillinda317 said:
I am in Indianapolis, and I will check ebay. The guy who rebuilt the tranny assures me that it will work this time or he will buy me another one however I am unsure of him and my car. I will look on ebay I just know this car is worth saving.
Indianapolis? Cool city. There's a Medical Science Training Program there that I might take a look at.
Well, if he offers that kind of guarantee, you're fine either way. A lot of shops won't do that. I've heard some terrible horror stories of people getting shafted with shop time for broken head studs that the mechanic wrecked, etc. If this guy's legit, you've got yourself a deal. Sounds like he'll make it work either way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alternative.

How much money do you have? Because if I were you I would just go dish out 2,300 and get a whole SR front clip and slap that in your car, then you would be a happy man!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jedijed said:
How much money do you have? Because if I were you I would just go dish out 2,300 and get a whole SR front clip and slap that in your car, then you would be a happy man!

I could never be a happy MAN I lack the right equipment for that! LOL

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think that whoever rebuilt your transmission should be responsible for making sure that it works after they give it back to you. If I dropped $1,000 on rebuilding a tranny, and then it stopped working a few days/weeks/months later, I'd bring it right back to them and have them repair it free of charge. If they refused I'd threaten legal action.

Whatever you decide to do though, good luck. My best advice is find a shop your can trust and feel comfortable with, otherwise it may not be money well spent...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts