Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 95 200sx ser and the problem I am having is this:

The transmission gets stuck in gear and won't come out with out alot of force weather the car is running or not. It will go in 1st, 4th, 5th and reverse but will not go in 2nd or 3rd.

Do I need a new tranny or maybe something else. I know nothing about the sr engine or tranny. I have always owned ga16 equipped cars. I did try searching on here and sr20forum but could not find a similar problem or solution.

Thanks
-Nick

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,239 Posts
for this type of problem check the engine and transmission mounts.
however i am not sure that's your problem.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Looking at the FSM ( download yours from phatg20.net for free ) they don't share selector forks,, but the selectors are next to one another, so its possible something is wrong in the selector rails.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mounts are good as far as I can tell. I started it and let it run for a while and the tranny started making a rattling, almost grinding sound while it was in neutral. Could the throw out bearing be the bane of my existence? I'll probably pull everything apart and go from there. I may end up keeping the wheels and skirts for my se and junk the sucker.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
If its the TB it would give trouble in all gears.
if its grinding in neutral sounds more like selector problems.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might be. It does feel like something is binding the shifter. I need to check the linkage I guess. I am having a hard time finding a transmission here in Oklahoma City for less than 700 bucks.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Try searching for a 95 - 98 200Sx 2.0 SER one, this has the Limited slip diff...
they seem to be $350 - 400 around Dallas ....

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
deleted....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try searching for a 95 - 98 200Sx 2.0 SER one, this has the Limited slip diff...
they seem to be $350 - 400 around Dallas ....
Dallas is only a few hours drive for me, I'll try some salvage yards down there. Boomer Sooner. j/k

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
i did see one locally for $200 !!
Why don't you take yours off and check it over TB, clutch, and take the selector assembly out and inspect it.
If its all messed up buy another with Limited slip (axles are different to non-LSD)
If you do decide on a later one, make sure you get the axles in a package deal.
B15's are reported to be stronger if it matters to you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Due to the unfortunate demise of my se I have been forced to start pulling the tranny on the se-r. I read a lot of "how to" posts on here and other forums. I still am having a bitch of a problem getting to the starter. I removed some sort of brace that was in the way and can get my hand on the starter but am having problems feeling where it bolts to the tranny. Are the starter bolts both on the tranny side? That is where I am stuck. All I have left is the starter and axles.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
its been a while since i did the starter on the SE-R, but from what i remember one is from the engine side and one is on the Transmission side.
I will see what i can find....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I loosened the drain plug today and found that there is not a drop of fluid in the tranny. That sucks. I found a guy to rebuild the tranny and can't wait to finish dropping it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts