Nissan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, finally got around to installing the 5 speed tranny I rebuilt last month. Put in a new clutch while I was at it. The whole job took 3 hrs, start to finish. I did cheat a little and borrow a friends 4 post lift instead of crawling around on the ground. The clutch was still in good shape, surprising for 280,000 miles. It would have gone another 80,000 easily. Flywheel looked great too. Transmission shifts fine! A little gear whine, but that is not unexpected for a tranny that had 220,000 when the front countershaft bearing went out. Nice to have 5th gear again!
Here are some tips for those wanting to do a clutch job or a tranny swap. Getting the tranny out is not too bad, but there are a few tricks that help.
1) Pull the tranny mount off the tailhousing. Other wise it is in the way, and adds weight.
2) After the driveshaft is out, use a hammer and a long piece of 2x2 wood and knock the dust shield that protects the slip yoke off. It gets bent up otherwise, and gets in the way.
3) Block the oil pan up, you don't want the engine to lean back. The fan can hit the radiator otherwise.
4) To pull the tranny out, pull it back about 1/2" to clear the dowels, then rotate it 45 degrees counterclockwise (viewed from the rear). This gives a little more clearance on the bottom of the tailhousing. Pull all the way back, drop the front end down and remove. Here is where the dust cover gets bent up if not already removed.
5) Put a dab of white grease in the pilot bushing before you re-install the tranny. I also use this to lube the throwout bearing sleeve.

Now for the fun! The tranny needs to be re-installed in the reverse order. Back end up on the crossmember, rotated 45 degrees CCW. Pick the front up and get the input shaft into the clutch hub. The input shaft likes to get snagged on the clutch hub, so be patient. Get everything lined up, and wiggle the tranny until the splines engage. Push it almost to the dowels, then rotate to the correct position. Get the bolts started and pull it tight. Everything else is straight forward. I fill the tranny after everything underneath is done, but before the shifter is re-installed. Pour the lube in through the shifter hole, much easier than the side plug! I put in 3 bottles, as the original fill level was too low (info from this forum!)

One more thing! before you re-install the driveshaft, tap the dust shield back into place. After the driveshaft is back in place, take a thin blade screwdriver and slip it between the dust cover and the driveshaft yoke. Slide it all the way around, making sure the dust cover is not touching the yoke. If it is, gently pry it over til it clears. Otherwise, you will have an annoying chirp from the driveline.
Ask me how I learned this!

·
Registered
207 Posts
...glad this went smooth for ya. Think I'll be doing the same job on mine in the next month or so. I rebuilt my tranny last fall, but doesn't sound like I had as good a result as you. :loser: 3rd gear sticks, and 5th gear is out of round and vibrates a little...consequently, I only use 1,2 and 4th. Hey, I've been driving the thing since last fall that way, so I ain't complaining. But going to be relocating to the mountains of NC this summer, and won't be able to get by with skipping 3rd gear there. Think I have a rebuilt tranny off ebay won, and figure I'll do the clutch while I'm in there..stutters a little when I take off. 1st time doing the clutch, so I may be asking some questions on that...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine works fine. Whines a little in all but 4th gear (direct) because of gear wear. The tranny had 220K miles with a 800-1000# load at all times, so the gears have some wear. Synchros could have been replaced, but it shifts OK.
Clutch is really easy, adds about 20 minutes to the tranny swap!

·
Registered
207 Posts
...planning on going with one of THESE clutches. Anyone have any experience with these...or should I spend a little more for one from the dealer?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...planning on going with one of THESE clutches. Anyone have any experience with these...or should I spend a little more for one from the dealer?

I went with an E-Bay special. Not sure what brand it was, as it was out of the box. In a light truck like this, I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Out of the blue question.....How much does the tranny weigh roughly?

I'd guess about 60#. I installed this one myself.Had it on a lift, which makes it easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts