Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my car and kinda pushing it. when i shifted from 2nd to 3rd it was really hard for me to get it in. I know i had the clutch all the way in. Could my clutch be going out if so would replaceing the oil in the tranny help until i can get enough money for a clutch.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
240sxs1377 said:
I was driving my car and kinda pushing it. when i shifted from 2nd to 3rd it was really hard for me to get it in. I know i had the clutch all the way in. Could my clutch be going out if so would replaceing the oil in the tranny help until i can get enough money for a clutch.
You mayhave prematurely let out the clutch, and skidded on the synchro. The synchro is a mesh that makes the gear easy to slide in and out, and in and out, and in and out...
If the mesh is worn, or the transmission is especially frictive due to cold, or the transmission oil is hyperviscous, or the transmission fluid is low, the synchro mesh will not function correctly, and can cause the gear to resist selection, and possibly to grind.
I recommend changing the transmission oil immediately. The oil could be old and viscous, or maybe even low. Other than that, the transmission could just be "tired."

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,679 Posts
240sxs1377 said:
Check the clutch pedal free play; it may be too loose.

·
Registered
941 Posts
It's important for trannies to have the correct oil ... and that means an oil which has been friction modified to allow synchronizers to work their best. With most lubrication applications, you want the most slippery stuff possible. But synchros actually need some friction to work properly.

If you have a damaged synchro, or like to shift hard, making sure you have the best stuff in their to prevent missed shifts and grinding which will eventually DNF your ride. :(

In 90 weight (75W-90, 80W-90, etc ...) gear oils, I recommend Red Line Oil's MT-90 or Specialty Formulation's MTL-R:

http://www.specialtyformulations.com/index_files/Page675.htm

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya ill replace the oil and see if that helps. Thanx for all the information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts