Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a grinding sound on my B13 (1.6L) that appears to be coming from inside the transmission, the grinding stops when I push in the clutch but continues when I release it back into gear. I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar issue and could shed some light on to what might be the culprit if it's a common problem. Someone said that it sounds like the previous owner did some slam shifting and high rpm running without knowing quite what they were doing.

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
probably your throw out bearing

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
It is possible that its the throw-out(release)bearing, but more often then not its the tranny input bearing. Funny thing, my 99 is doing the same thing. For those of you who may say I am wrong, #1 check my sig,#2 We had a car in the shop where I work yesterday for the same problem(this one also needed a clutch), at the customers request we only replaced the clutch and throw-out bearing(he was convinced the noise was the TOB, against my diagnoses), guess what..Once the car was back together the noise was still there and did not change at all. Now for a little tranny/clutch lesson for those who want it.

With the clutch pedal up(not pushed in) the engine is spining the flywheel. This spinning motion is transferred to the tranny input shaft through the clutch itself. In this situation the TOB is not really doing anything(may spin but not loaded).
With the clutch pedal to the floor you are making the TOB separate the clutch from the flywheel. In this case the spinning motion of the engine is transfered to the TOB, but not the tranny input shaft.
As you can see from this description, Daishi's problem happens when the TOB is just hanging out not doing its job and the spinning is being transfered to the tranny through the input shaft. That is why more than likely its the input shaft bearing. Now to really confuse you..It could be the TOB. The TOB does spin a very little bit when the clutch is out, but it is not loaded with force from the clutch springs like when the pedal is pushed. The noise could be possibly the bearing has loosness in it and loading the pedal "takes up" this loosness causing the noise to stop. Lesson over.

Daishi - I wish you good luck fixing it, to bad you dont have reamining powertrain warranty like I do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts