Nissan Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't a 'chassis' problem, but it also isn't an 'engine' problem.

I have done everything for my 60k tune-up myself except for trans fluid. (I have a 5 speed.)

According to the haynes manual I have to remove the speedometer drive pinion from the top of the engine to add the gear oil. I see no drive pinion and the manual shows no pictures or anything. I have a 1/2 inch ratchet - head type bolt to remove the oil, I see that. I also see that there is a similar one on the FRONT of the the engine about half way up the trans that is 3/8 inch ratchet size head.

So, is this bolt that can be removed with just a 3/8 inch ratchet (no socket) what I need to remove to add the oil?

Thanks

Jacob

·
Cone Dodger
3,141 Posts
huh???

you don't need to take the speedo gear out to change the oil, there are 2 brass plugs on the tranny, one drain and one fill, just loosen the fill plug, the bigger of the 2 and fill it from there, and keep on filling until it overflows and now you have the proper level, i think you can use a 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar to loosen it, i use a breaker bar with a very short 1/2" drive extension, and for the drain, i think it takes a 3/8" drive, on thing though is the filling process, it's kind of a bitch, i use a special pump to fill it up or use a long funnel with a flexible tip to almost do a 90 degree turn, hope this helps out a bit.........

·
Destroyer of Engines
566 Posts
I just did a transmission fluid change today, and azkicker0027 is right. You don't need to remove anything except the drain/fill plugs. The drain plug is on lower back part of the transmission and faces the driver side tire(use a 1/2 inch ratchet). The fill plug is on the front of the transmission and uses a 3/8 inch ratchet. This job is fairly easy, the only problem I had was loosening the drain plug. I had to use a breaker bar and a jack to loosen it.

Other than this the job is easy, just make sure you have a funnel with a flexible tube, and go slow after adding the 3rd quart of transmission fluid.

·
Registered
102 Posts
what would happen if you overfilled the tranny?
like all the way to the top

·
Super-Mod with a 240
3,562 Posts
kingsentra said:
what would happen if you overfilled the tranny?
like all the way to the top

That's what you're supposed to do.

·
Cone Dodger
3,141 Posts
too much fluid, would cause harder shifts, and fluid foaming. and some might actually seep out of the bleeder if you don't have the pipe on it. but when it overflows, you'd know when to stop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.