Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't a 'chassis' problem, but it also isn't an 'engine' problem.

I have done everything for my 60k tune-up myself except for trans fluid. (I have a 5 speed.)

According to the haynes manual I have to remove the speedometer drive pinion from the top of the engine to add the gear oil. I see no drive pinion and the manual shows no pictures or anything. I have a 1/2 inch ratchet - head type bolt to remove the oil, I see that. I also see that there is a similar one on the FRONT of the the engine about half way up the trans that is 3/8 inch ratchet size head.

So, is this bolt that can be removed with just a 3/8 inch ratchet (no socket) what I need to remove to add the oil?

Thanks

Jacob

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
huh???

you don't need to take the speedo gear out to change the oil, there are 2 brass plugs on the tranny, one drain and one fill, just loosen the fill plug, the bigger of the 2 and fill it from there, and keep on filling until it overflows and now you have the proper level, i think you can use a 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar to loosen it, i use a breaker bar with a very short 1/2" drive extension, and for the drain, i think it takes a 3/8" drive, on thing though is the filling process, it's kind of a bitch, i use a special pump to fill it up or use a long funnel with a flexible tip to almost do a 90 degree turn, hope this helps out a bit.........

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
I just did a transmission fluid change today, and azkicker0027 is right. You don't need to remove anything except the drain/fill plugs. The drain plug is on lower back part of the transmission and faces the driver side tire(use a 1/2 inch ratchet). The fill plug is on the front of the transmission and uses a 3/8 inch ratchet. This job is fairly easy, the only problem I had was loosening the drain plug. I had to use a breaker bar and a jack to loosen it.

Other than this the job is easy, just make sure you have a funnel with a flexible tube, and go slow after adding the 3rd quart of transmission fluid.

·
Registered
97 Posts
what would happen if you overfilled the tranny?
like all the way to the top

·
Super-Mod with a 240
2,375 Posts
kingsentra said:
what would happen if you overfilled the tranny?
like all the way to the top

That's what you're supposed to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.