Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the aging AT in my '91 Infiniti M30 with a 5-speed from a Z31 (which is why I've posted in this section...the M30 takes many parts from the Z31).

The only variable I can think of is if the driveshaft will work with the new transmission or not. The logic I'm going by here is that since the M30 & Z31 shared the same engine (VG30E) and the same AT (RE4R01A) that the MT used by the Z31 should work in the M30 - if the same driveshaft is used by both AT and MT Z31s. The other way to tell, I would imagine, would be if one could compare the length of the RE4R01A to that of the Z31 MT (whose model # escapes me ATM) plus the length of the clutch.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
The Z31 auto trans is the 4N71B......... Early model 5-spd turbo trans was the FS5R90A (Borg-Warner T5), The early non-turbo trans was the FS5W71C. The later (87-89) Z31 5-spd turbo trans is the FS5R30A. All 3 trans have their own output shaft size, the driveshaft size is different between the FS5R90A and FS5R30A transmissions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Crap, i thought they had the same AT......

Edit: I'm retarded and cannot read - the places I thought said Z31s had the M30 AT, were talking about Z32s.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
nyeark said:
Crap, i thought they had the same AT......

Edit: I'm retarded and cannot read - the places I thought said Z31s had the M30 AT, were talking about Z32s.
Well in that case, you should be able to fit the FS5R30A. Not sure about your driveshaft, though. You may be able to get the Z32 turbo driveshaft and appropriate pieces for use on the one you have now. You might want to post this in the Z32 section, see if you get any replies. Actually, I can transfer it there for you. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Moved to Z32. Can you guys help him out.
Thanks, I hope you can forgive my uber noobness :(

The M30 is (I think) a single-piece driveshaft, but I don't know for sure. It would make sense if it were because it had no other transmission option.

If a manual can be put in without having to have a custom driveshaft made, then I'll go for it, else I'll have to wait a while.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
I hate to say it, but you might be on your own on this one. Any M30 forums you can ask about this on? Surely someone somewhere has done this before....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they have, I haven't heard of it.....the one M30 board I know of has ideas but nothing solid.

This is the one recurring problem with this car that ticks me off - it's rare here in the states and so the only way to figure out what will or won't is to try it (And I'd like to, I just don't have the money to try a manual swap - if it doesn't work then I'm up sh!t creek).

Thanks anyway :/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts