Nissan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, note my car in my signature, every gear is tight and fast, but after (it seems) the trans warms up, fifth gear (only) will pop out if i step on the throttle, it will hold the gear crusing, but if im racing on the highway it will pop out at about 80MPH and then the motor will rev.

this is the only gear it does it in, 1234 will hold all i throw at them...could the fifth gear teeth be worn?? i thought about this, and considered the metal on the shaft was getting hot and the slipping, but metal expands when its heated so it dosent make sence to pop out after 10-15 minutes.

Whatchathink? :confused:

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
These trannys are usually pretty bulletproof. I've never heard of anyone having problems with them unless they where trying to put WAY MORE then stock power to the ground. Sounds like your 5th gear is warn out. Fixing it will involve either changing the entire tranny or opening up the tranny you have now and swapping out the gear. It could be someting else though so don't run out and swap your tranny just yet.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
running out and swapping my tranny isnt exactly what i had in mind....lol im po'

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
i know this problem... it is the infamous "5th pop out" problem those tranny get after a lot of abuse!! (WOT in 5th)... my first sentra had this problem when i bought it...i had to hcnage tranny cuz the mot**** fu**** wouldnt even get into 5th... buying a used i found it to be good for a while then it came back... but not as hard... i would just shift back in and hit the floor.. and would stay there... now casing is broke and im gonna have a new tranny in 2 weeks or so... i get back to you when its installed...

sure this thing is a gear problem... and youll have to get the tranny out for repaires or change it.... since repairing is costy, buying a used one is a better option (get it out/put it in)... but you might find your problem coming back... repairing it (costy/take it off/wait a week or 2/put it in)... well you know wath i mean...

or endure it like it is... wear it off completely... than change it!!

Hope youll find an answer...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ThanX, it it possible to get the trans out without the motor? or should it all come out together?

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Crazy-Mart said:
i know this problem... it is the infamous "5th pop out" problem those tranny get after a lot of abuse!! (WOT in 5th)
It's usually the SR20DE powered Sentras that eat through their 5ht gear. You two are the only people I've heard of that are having tranny problems with a stock engine.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
well maybe you havent run into it yet !!... but all my scrap yard infos told me .... Ha yah, those transmission hA, they always get that kindo stuff broken (bent forques)... and also its my 2nd one who got the poping... wasnt bad at all.. did it only sometimes... but now the casing is broke, it my chance to get a new one that will work fine !!....

like i said its not really the gear itself... it the forque, that wont get into place ad lock there... it should be easy to change but, i always though tranny would never be opened by me !!... you need a mecanic if your not great at mecanic yourself !!and i mean really great !! :)... too much clips/tiny things....

Btw, you can easily take the tranny off without the motor...by the same time , you should check replace your clutch... its helping a lot on the tranny...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, i dont think im going to rebuild the trans, ill probably just put up with the popout.

the clutch it brand new :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts