1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 auto
Had the trans rebuilt 3 or 4 years ago.
Noticed it's not shifting like before.
A few weeks ago, it shifted rapedly between 3 and 4. After that it was fine.
Yesterday, going up a slight hill, I had to slow down. It didn't down shift.
I've also noticed that it shifts a little harder at times.
Fluid is still red. No burnt smell to it.
It is full.
I did notice once that the speedo didn't move for a little while.
Maybe 30 seconds after a cold start.
It did shift normally to second and third.
Never happened again.
Speed sensor problem???
Had a hard time finding a shop to rebuild the trans.
He took over as year to do it.
Don't really want to take it back to him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My daughter's 1991 Re402A Stanza just died, same trans as you..she was having issues with putting it in gear and very slow engagement recently....finally it's now no forward or reverse...I pulled it out and started disassembling it...so far I found a wear ring under the pump to bell housing case....two of the four valve body solinoids don't click when testing with 12 volts, I believe those are the A and B solinoids....there was quite a bit of metal flakes in the oil...206000 miles...rebuild parts are on the way, but trying to track down a reasonably priced solinoids pack is a challange.

You should drain your trans and refill, it's the easiest first step...even if you think the fluid is ok. Her car had 160K miles when bought and had a brutal shift clunk when coming to a stop when it was hot...drained and refilled it twice and it was perfect for the next 4 years and 46K miles.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,165 Posts
This is a reply to MCX's post. You'll have to first get the nissan part# for the solenoid pack. Then check out these web sites:

RockAuto is your best bet as long as the part fits. Best prices, OEM spec'd, good return policy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rogoman...Thanks for the info ...rockauto lists solinoids for this 1991 Stanza but sold out and not likely to restock...I have to reach out to Transtar...I priced it through Nissan and it's going for 900 LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts