Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a relatively easy way to remove my 93 sentra E transmission and replace it without pulling the engine??

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
Yes. Drop the driver side hub, unbolt the transmission from the engine, unbolt the shift linkage, remove CV axles, unhook clutch cable, unbolt transmission mounts (there are two) and remove. The problem is getting the transmission mated back up with the engine once its out. It took about 25 minutes for me to pull the tranny when I changed my clutch, and 3 1/2 hours to get it back in place. Next time, I am just going to pull the whole engine/transmission. It honestly seems much easier to do.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
He means the wheel hub on the drivers side
remove the 32 mm nut first, i use someone to hold the brakes on, i use 3/4 drive socket with a gas pipe for extra leverage.
then undo front suspension to clear hub from axle
pop out the axles with a pry bar
down load the FSM for your car from
phatg20.net

BTW i had same problem getting the transmission back on, i think the problem is the poor clutch aligning tool.
I purchased the longest bolts i could from Autozone and cut off heads and sloted for flat blade screwdriver. ( 4 inches approx, four of them) screwed into the engine block as a guides and to take the weight. Then could get it installed.

·
Registered
485 Posts
BTW i had same problem getting the transmission back on, i think the problem is the poor clutch aligning tool.
I purchased the longest bolts i could from Autozone and cut off heads and sloted for flat blade screwdriver. ( 4 inches approx, four of them) screwed into the engine block as a guides and to take the weight. Then could get it installed.[/QUOTE]

Man thats got to be the best suggestion I have heard in years. Thanks for the info on that...
One question though? did u just use the bolt holes for the bell housing?
Or other holes in the block? Im going to be replacing my clutch soon and dont like paying shops when I know how to do it on my own with out to many extra PITAs.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Man thats got to be the best suggestion I have heard in years. Thanks for the info on that...
One question though? did u just use the bolt holes for the bell housing?
Or other holes in the block? Im going to be replacing my clutch soon and dont like paying shops when I know how to do it on my own with out to many extra PITAs.
Yes, just screw them into the transmission attachment threads, not tight as you have to get them out later with the slots you cut in them.

I put two in the top, and two in the side.

You can then slide it into the clutch center plate and wiggle it till it goes in, then put some bolts in to get it aligned and onto the dowels. remove the guides and then replace all the bolts and tighten down as normal.

Worked for me !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts