Nissan Forum banner

Trans and wiring issues, 88 e16i to any later engine

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Daeron 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, I have a line on an 88 sentra for free.. it dropped a timing chain and needs a new motor. Its the TBI version with a four speed manual.

I glanced around, but my eyes are drooping.. I need to find a junkyard motor for this car. I come from an old Datsun family; in my lifetime alone we have owned:

-two hardbodies
-one pathfinder
-one B12 sentra (oldest bro's ex wifes first car, loong time ago)
-one 92 maxima
-two Z31 NA's
-two 280ZX NA's
-one 280ZXT
-two 280Zs
-one 260Z
-way too many 240Zs to count
-same with 1600 and 2000 roadsters, including one of Pete Brock's two racecars
-one b210

..and i think thats it. That is between myself, four brothers, my old man and our uncle (plus the one brother's wife.)

So I am no novice, but I must confess I've never done an engine swap. However, 70 horsepower?????? whoa.. I have gathered that an e15et can swap in, but those aren't exactly common. It *seems* like I ought to be able to swap in a GA series but I haven't found definitive answers on cross members, trans bolt patterns, and NOTHING about the wiring and fuel intake; I presume I would need a full MPFI manifold and ECU for anything, but what can I work with using the original harness? I can supplement the stocker if needs be, but really simplicity is hallmark for me to get this car and get it rolling. I would love nothing more than to find a nice B13 that had gotten rear ended.

And honestly (I know, this is SIN from a true nissan guy, but...) I wanna avoid the SR20. I kinda like fifth gear. It is one thing to drive a trans that never HAD it... but... nah.

If the turbo motor is really the way to go, or if I could find a way to slap MPFI onto this thing, or even if I could throw a weber DGV or some mikunis on the thing (heck, even a pair of SUs) I could DO it.. but I haven't heard ANY mention of transmission coupling from an E16 trans to a GA16 or 18.

I would LOVE a nice DOHC 1600 NA econobox. My Z is for playing with, this car is destined to deliver pizza (at least until something else comes up:) )

EDIT wow I hadn't noticed there was a separate sub forum for the engines in these vehicles. Browsing that now, apologies!!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
Okay, so a few days later and I have searched around the internet at large, and on this forum. From what I have gathered thus far:

a GA series engine and transmission (either the 12 valve SOHC TBI motor, or the ga16de MPFI motor) will apparently bolt into my car with the existing mounts and axles. From what I gather, the E16 transmission would work with the GA motor if I got the bellhousing from the GA trans?? Whatever, if thats the case I will keep the old E-box for a spare.

I am sure I will need the ECU and wire harness to go from the E16I to the GA16DE; what else would be needed from the donor vehicle? The complete engine would hopefully be pulled from the motor, so the VVT solenoid (if equipped,) the idle air motor, MAF etc etc are all rather obvious, but what relays and components might be perched on the donor vehicle somewhere that I would need to grab? I found a parts lookup site that gave me wire diagrams for the E16i, the GA16i, and the GA16DE, so I can tell the differences are manifest.

Is there a chance that I can use the GA16i with the GA TBI, but the E-series AFM, TPS, ECU, and ignition setup?

I am trying to get a cheap car running here; e16 motors seem to be less than common in the junkyards here. I found four GA16DE sentras with automatics, one 89 ga16i with a four speed, and no E series. That was in Yard #1; Yard #2 is related to them, but stuck in the stone age still and have no online inventory. Yard #3 is right next door to Yard #2, but not related at all, and they DO have an online inventory.. and they are showing a couple 91 sentras, and later. TBH Yard #3 is the best, Yard #1 is the closest, and Yard #2 just sucks but its helpful to have another place next door if you get skunked at #3.

The simple the swap the better; EITHER GA is going to prove more powerful, more common, and more useful in the long-term than the E16. I *could* take this car and have it be my beater for the next 2-5 years while life continues, and I work on my 280Z... and the odds of that happening increase greatly with a GA16DE under the hood. Cost os obviously a factor; but the complete GA16DE swap with ECU and wiring harness is within my speculative budget as long as the JY doesn't nickle and dime me to death.. and I have a car I was gonna sell to them anyhow. I MAY suggest I give them the car for the motor, trans, ecu combo I need.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Hummmmm.......

Well, see, I really don't see myself fighting South Florida traffic, with the four lane roads and the idiot gasbags from everywhere in the world driving at 4512543 different speeds, with a 70 horsepower 4 banger. Besides, after a few valves, a headgasket set, a timing chain set, and a water pump...... I'm figuring that it'll cost me a couple hundred bucks to get the E16 going anyhow. The appeal of the GA is threefold:

1. Availability
2. Modernity
3. Power out of the box.

I'm not looking for a performance vehicle; 90-100 horses is all I need. I just need to feel safe on the roads delivering pizzas. Until I get a new job, I am putting about 100 miles a day on my car, and sometimes more.

Would you have access to a GA16DE vehicle's FSM? If I can get a decent breakdown of the car and its engine management system, I should be able to figure out what would be needed. I am also PRAYING that I can go to the junkyard with my old soobie (blown 2nd gear on the AT) and say "Hey, instead of you giving my 200 for this running car, howsabout letting me go pull this engine/trans/ecu/wiring/etc/etc from this sentra out there?" THAT may be a total flight of fancy, but if I can pull it off I would love to.

Really, a B13 sentra 2 door with a stick shift is just about EXACTLY what I am looking for right now. I am driving my brothers CRX right now, and that thing is fun to drive.. but its an HF with an SI motor/trans, fully prepped for autocross. Its street legal, but its got solid motor mounts, no interior, a roll bar, a racing seat with a four point harness, no interior illumination, and stock speedo and tach only. There is a radio that bangs around loosely in there. ITs fun to drive, but NOT fun to deliver pizzas in.

Thanks for the help, though. I have been extremely uncertain as to what I was getting into. If I take the plunge I will keep this thread posted; if not, it means I may have found another car elsewhere that would mean nothing to nissanforums :)

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Well, I know about power to weight.. I've been driving an 87 subaru with 90 horsepower and 108 lb-ft of torque, the car weighs ~2450, and it has a 3 speed auto. It holds me back more than I would like, and I can't believe that a 70 horse E16 wouldn't be worse.

Still, after a bit of research I think it might not be as expensive as I had thought to repair the motor. On the other hand, today a 93 maxima came up for 700 bucks that I may jump on instead. If not the maxima, then I just might repair the E16 and then later down the road do what I want with the swap.

Airbox? the air filter on this car looks like an old skool carb filter, no real "airbox" but I guess that what you are talking about. Personally I highly doubt that the little thing flows enough air that a cheapo filter would cause a restriction... By the way, is that GA TBI swap worth it or is that just smoke being blown???

Also, when I went to the junkyard there was ONE B12 sentra there, and it was a GA16i. My oldest brother's ex wife drove one of these, and i have noticed them when ive seen them in the yards. That is NOT that common, not here at least.

Well, in the next couple days I should be going in one direction or the other; I will keep you guys posted. Thanks a bunch for the help, and if you've got anything to add to the conversation don't hesitate! If I get the maxima, chances are I'm gonna have my eyes peeled for a B13 or a 200SX with that GA in it.. I am really liking the idea of a nice little 1600 the more I turn it over in my head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.