Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my tranny just went today i'm in canada ,i have a 1991 sentra se 2 door us model ga16de 5 speed.
i was woundering if i have to find the tranny for that model car or can you tell me if any other one will fit and what

·
Registered
351 Posts
Adam said:
Get an SR20 tranny and do an engine swap!
LOL... and throw in a turbo while you're at it...

seriosly, any tranny should fit from 91-99 1.6L sentra. see your local junk yard representative :D

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
yep junker tranny would be the best for you
unless you got some hook ups over sees and can get a ga16 tranny with lsd, but noone has one yet

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not 100% sure it's my tranny yet, It might be my cluch.
it was making a howling noise ,kinda what you would hear when backing up , And i could also hear like a berring and or metal scraping/grinding. A few day's ago the shifter seemed to get a bit stiff ,harder to put into gear, first gear being the hardest.

Then today i was in town and that's when it happend, all i heard was a loud scraping noise and then a clunk, after that i could not put it in any gear. So i sat there for a bit ,I was just about to call a tow truck and i tried one more time, i finally got it into 2nd gear.
When i went to pull away it kinda felt like the E brake was on but i got it rolling, I drove it all the way home in 2nd gear with my four way's on. It saved me about $60 bucks for the towing bill.
When i was driving i could smell gear oil really strong like it was burning. Now it's in the yard and i could see a bit of the gear oil dripping on the ground.

Any info or comments about this would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your help.

·
Nissan Wizard
193 Posts
Did you check your tranny fluid? maybe your low. I had my tranny fixed last year b/c of the 5th gear popout. it cost me $800. (ouch!) for everything. BTW i drive a 92se.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a new passanger side axel put in just two week's before, I topped the tranny fluid up then.

·
Nissan Wizard
193 Posts
$800

Yeah, I know its alot. Too bad the lsd wasn't out last year. Hey, maybe you should think about adding lsd if you have to get your tranny fixed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it is my tranny for sure, so i need to know what tranny will fit my car i'm in canada ,i have a 1991 sentra se 2 door us model ga16de 5 speed.
can anyone tell me what trannies are a for sure fit, what will bolt wright on to my motor pls :)
and would i have to chang axels or anything like that ?

(I NEED ONE NOW) thanx for your help

·
Nissan Wizard
193 Posts
RIZZO said:
it is my tranny for sure, so i need to know what tranny will fit my car i'm in canada ,i have a 1991 sentra se 2 door us model ga16de 5 speed.
can anyone tell me what trannies are a for sure fit, what will bolt wright on to my motor pls :)
and would i have to chang axels or anything like that ?

(I NEED ONE NOW) thanx for your help

Any RS5F31A should bolt right up. It is the same tranny that's on your car. I would get one for a 91-92 sentra because the speedometer uses a cable that attaches to the tranny. 93-94 I believe are electronic. I'm not sure though. I don't think you have to change your axles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts