Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ga16i and my manuel tranny is dead:( and the only engines that I have found in my area that had good trannys are a lot of e16i and a couple of ga16de. The problem that I am having is that I can't find any ga16i's at all. Will the tranny off a ga16de fit my ga16i? I herd that the 5 speed tranny's are weaker than the 4 speed because the e16i's have the five speed tranny, and the ga16de's have the 4 speed tranny. Is there a difference between the two trannys or am I stuck with trying a swap to the ga16de. If so what do I have to do to do the swap Ecu, Wirering harness, and so on please let me know I am in dire help :(

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
My guess would be no, that the tranny from a GA16DE won't work. Is your speedo cable driven or electrical? That could be a problem even if the tranny and starter bolted up ok. Call a Nissan service garage and ask. They might give you some free advice if you're lucky.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My tranny is cable driven and the tranny from the ga16de is also cable driven thanks for the help :) but will they bolt up right or mabe I can change the bell housing would this work?

·
Registered
393 Posts
try looking @ 89 sentras. i think those came w/ ga16i.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I finally found a ga16i tranny and well I was at it I put a new clutch in it too its all bolted up and works fine other than the feel of the cluch it's a lot easier to push the clutch in than it was before I changed the clutch. whats the problem did I adjust the clutch to much or is this normal it is a stock replacement clutch

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a Ga16de and it is a 5 speed, and i also hae an extra one from a 91 sentra that is a five speed

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 92 sentra e with the 4 speed how hard would it be to switch to a 5 speed and what car could I find it in?Thanks for your time

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That car has a ga16de if I'm not mistacking you can put one in from a 61 to 94 I'm sure of and just a thing to check is the bell housing to make sure it bolts up and one thing I almost forgot is you might have to change th cv joints hope this helps

·
Registered
466 Posts
88vert said:
I have a 92 sentra e with the 4 speed how hard would it be to switch to a 5 speed and what car could I find it in?Thanks for your time
No problem at all. Very simple swap. Just get a 5 speed trans from a 1991-1999 Sentra/NX/200SX with 1.6L engine and swap for your 4 speed. No other things will need to be changed, except the speedo pinion if you get a 1993 and up trans.

The axles and mounts are all the same.

·
Registered
427 Posts
88vert,
I swapped out my 4 speed to a 5 speed and it was very straight forward. The 5 speed transmission is a direct drop in. You can remove the speedometer pinion from your four speed and it will fit right in to your new 5 speed. The biggest thing you need to worry about is that you will be missing a little number five on your on your knob.
-dave

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I just have to find a five speed my sentra has 192000 on her and runs like new and I commute to work everyday and still get 35 to the gallon but she is rapped pretty tight at 70 mph:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts