Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 Sentra with a 4spd manual trans. I am wondering what all is involved in putting a 5spd in this car, what I'm needing to know is what parts will have to be changed besides just the tranny. I'm asking because I'm almost positive that I need to replace the clutch and/or entire clutch system on the 4spd in the car. Speaking of that what is the easiest way to look at the clutch without unbolting the tranny?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Just swap the tranny and put a new clutch set on it. There is no way to visually check the clutch w/o pulling it. Everything bolts right up. Axles, linkage all the same. Oh, 1 thing, you'll need the motor mount that attatches to the tranny. The 5 spd is about 1/2" closer to the fender well.

Here is my tranny experience:
I have an 87 SE Coup w/E16i 5spd. I put another E16i in it from an 88 2dr sedan w/4spd. Knocked the 4spd off and slapped on a 5spd from an 87 4dr sedan w/E16s. Everything seems to be just fine. Someday I may put the original 5spd back on. The stock 5spd in the coup has a taller 5th.

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
but the non S/C 5 is nicer on the gas that is what I noticed when I stuck one in my S/C the good news is that it is not that hard of a task helps if you have a lift and air tool so if you can find a do it yourself garage around you town that is where to go also change out the clutch cable while you are there I had problems with mine getting old and streching they are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
751 Posts
mille-16i said:
but the non S/C 5 is nicer on the gas that is what I noticed
With all due respect, how do you figure? Taller gears equate to lower rpms. Unless you're lugging it out and trying to accelerate while in 5th a lot. Thus sending unspent fuel out the tailpipe.I typically get up to cruising speed then drop it into 5th. There is no (hardly any) torque in 5th.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
Popkorn said:
With all due respect, how do you figure? Taller gears equate to lower rpms. Unless you're lugging it out and trying to accelerate while in 5th a lot. Thus sending unspent fuel out the tailpipe.I typically get up to cruising speed then drop it into 5th. There is no (hardly any) torque in 5th.
if you'd have a lot of torque, and would happen to lug the 5th of the coupe :rolleyes: you could squeeze up to 115mph at around 6000rpm.. (no e16i can do this but... it can goes there trust me. down point would be that if you floor it badly too much often the 5th goes out as fast (pop-out)... that gear is pretty fragile...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts