Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a B14 GA16, and I'm one of the many cursed with an automatic transmission. I'm very interested in doing a transmission swap for a manual one day when I have the money and the down time. I have a few questions about the whole procedure though.

My car has 38 grand on it, and I don't abuse the drivetrain at all. Can I swap the old transmission as a core that would go towards the cost of a manual? And once I exchange them, can I get a shifter and linkage from a junkyard? I also heard from someone that did a tranny swap that the B14 Sentras don't come with the clutch petal holes drilled in the firewall from the factory and this has to be done by yourself.

My level of expertise stops at suspension and induction. Drivetrain is an area I don't cover much. :)

Any details or help would be much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
You might try Buying a compleat wrecked car at a wrecking yard. I think you will need a computer and wiring harness for the engine compartment to do this. A wrecked car will give you everything you need from flywheele to clutch pedal to transmission mounts. I am thinking of doing the same and this is the only way I will. When your done you sell the rest of the car back to the wrecking yard or keep it for spare parts..

·
Registered
672 Posts
you do need a new computer to compensate for the fact that the car is manual and not auto.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Try finding a good Nissan based performance shop in your area and have them do it.

I'm not sure if you would need a new computer or not. Maybe you can just reset the computer. Does the ECU control the auto shifting or is that a different computer?

the clutch petal and cable have to be done yourself. I'm 99% sure that you have to drill the holes and make sure the clutch petal is placed in a good location.

I suggest you go to a junk yard, find a trashed manual b14 and look at every mechanism, placement and detail you can, even take pictures for reference. Then strip parts from it.

here's some useful links for you:
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24295
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26059
I suggest you email this guy too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
From what I understand from the dealer here andother mechanics the computer reads the transmission for slip and what gear it is so they tell me the Manual requires a different computer. I was told that it might be possible to buy a compleat wrecked Sentra for 600.00 or 800.00 if you are lucky. I also think the 5 speed has a hydralic (sorry for the spelling) clutch. the engine wiring harness also goes to the Tranny so it will have to be replaced with one that will fit the 5 speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts