Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I got a 1993 Nissan 240sx auto, an I have heard that the stock trannys in these cars are not the greatest. I have also noticed that when its going from second - third sometimes it just wont shift i guess, an it just revs reallly high. I was also just lookin over some threads here an found that it could be Torque converter (something i know nothing about). Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Do your self a favor...check all your fluids dont over fill the trani may also change the trani fluid and filter. If it smells burned or brownish then it may be more serious. But try the fluid change and filter change 7 quarts of fluid if you goto change the fluid and filter.... The torque converter...This attaches to the flywheel and then the trani. The trani weighs about 450lbs. You will need to remove the trani to get to the torque converter. NOT an easy first timer job unless you have the correct tools.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my tranny fluid changed, an i still seem to be having problems. Tonight i was driving an for a while i couldn't get it to go past like 20. Wont shift up from frist??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like your tranny is starting to go.You may need to get it rebuilt or consider another tranny =(. Ever think about going 5speed?Im in my 3rd s13,ive never even driven the automatics but I do know that the 5speed trannys are pretty reliable. ANy other opinions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, i have seriously been considering putting in a 5 speed tranny. Im just not sure exactly what it would take to do it, or if i could even aford it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If i was to go thru with changing to a 5 speed tranny, what tranny would be suggested? Just a 5 speed 93 trans. I will do some research an see what i can find. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i suggest the 91-94 twin cam tranny.thats all u really need.U gotta cut some holes in your floorboard for the clutch peddle,um,i think thats about it.The s13 i have now used to be auto,but I installed my trani the same time i put in my RB20,didnt hav to go thru what your considering...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello anyone need a bellhousing flywheel torque converter etc. to convert a sr20 rwd to an automatic i bought my car someone had done the swap and it was already automatic the transmission is the exact same as what comes in 240s or if someone wants to try putting a sr20 in a 4wd pathfinder/pickup automatic it would also bolt up for that. If anyone is interested make an offer i'll sell it through ebay

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,236 Posts
I got my tranny fluid changed, an i still seem to be having problems. Tonight i was driving an for a while i couldn't get it to go past like 20. Wont shift up from frist??
Did you also replace the tranny filter? It may be plugged up.

Always check the ATF level with the tranny fully warmed up and engine idling.

Did you notice if the old ATF had a burnt smell to it. If so, the clutch disks are shot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts