Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you diagnose a tranny problem without taking it into a shop and paying for them to take their best guesses ??? I have noticed some sharp metal scraping noises comming from the general tranny area... it kinds sounded like my friends BMW when his tranny went and he had to drive it in 4th to get it to his dads shop ...
I get the noise when I am near to or going over the "stock" shift specs, its not overly loud yet but its getting a little louder...
Could this be because I havent changed my tranny fluid in a while ? (5spd 97 B14 GXE btw... lol)
appreciate it guys
-Pete-
:cheers: cheers!

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
pete2.0 said:
How do you diagnose a tranny problem without taking it into a shop and paying for them to take their best guesses ??? I have noticed some sharp metal scraping noises comming from the general tranny area... it kinds sounded like my friends BMW when his tranny went and he had to drive it in 4th to get it to his dads shop ...
I get the noise when I am near to or going over the "stock" shift specs, its not overly loud yet but its getting a little louder...
Could this be because I havent changed my tranny fluid in a while ? (5spd 97 B14 GXE btw... lol)
appreciate it guys
-Pete-
:cheers: cheers!
Drain the fluid and install fresh. Use a screen when you drain it to look for metal shavings, this will help you to tell if you need someone to open the tranny to take a closer look.

I also recommend using redline shockproof light as it can help with minor tranny wear, but if you find lots of metal on the screen have it taken apart...

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
pete.... i thought you changed your fluid a few months ago when you thought your clutch was bad? if you took better care of the mechanicals of your car it wouldnt be such a bucket.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if I had time I would ... I am really busy with lots of stuff ... I gotta somehow manage to get money for college for next year ... lol , the usual!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts