Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so over the last 2 months I have noticed that when I put the truck into reverse or make a sudden turn I heard a loud rubbing/ vibration noise. It seems to be coming from the tranny mount area. I looked under there and It looks pretty worn. The engine mounts look pretty good not as worn or gooey.
Online i found this
2002 NISSAN FRONTIER Transmission Mount

everywhere i go they say the 4x4 mounts are the same as the 2WD mounts (i have a 5 speed. Is this the mount cuz everywhere else has it for like 60 bucks this looks like a great deal.
also it looks pretty easy to change, just loosen the bolts, jack the tranny up a bit and pull it out. Is this how it goes? I am broke so I want to do this myself, dealer wants like 300 to do it, anyone done this before? thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Ok so over the last 2 months I have noticed that when I put the truck into reverse or make a sudden turn I heard a loud rubbing/ vibration noise. It seems to be coming from the tranny mount area. I looked under there and It looks pretty worn. The engine mounts look pretty good not as worn or gooey.
Online i found this
2002 NISSAN FRONTIER Transmission Mount

everywhere i go they say the 4x4 mounts are the same as the 2WD mounts (i have a 5 speed. Is this the mount cuz everywhere else has it for like 60 bucks this looks like a great deal.
also it looks pretty easy to change, just loosen the bolts, jack the tranny up a bit and pull it out. Is this how it goes? I am broke so I want to do this myself, dealer wants like 300 to do it, anyone done this before? thanks for your help
FWIW, it's the same image that shows up on the Advance Auto Website (a local chain around here) for $60-ish. Too bad you can't find a poly mount (from someone like Energy Suspensions), it'd hold up a lot better than rubber.

I've not had to change the mount on my truck, but based on what I remember from changing one on another RWD vechile, your procedure sounds correct.

Have you checked the U-joints and carrier bearing as a source of the noise?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,143 Posts
looks pretty easy to change, just loosen the bolts, jack the tranny up a bit and pull it out. Is this how it goes? I am broke so I want to do this myself, dealer wants like 300 to do it, anyone done this before? thanks for your help
That's how it's done. Do it yourself and save the dealer cost.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, i will check the other stuff too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so when i went to go get my oil changed I had them inspect the mounts (body, motor and tranny), carrier bearings and basically any movable joints and items close to rubbing. They found nothing. I can now hear/feel the sound when i turn, its not loud but i can hear and feel it. I also checked my bushings, tirerod ends and everything looks ok. Anyone have any ideas. I really do not want to take it to nissan I just do not have the $$$ to do it.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
so when i went to go get my oil changed I had them inspect the mounts (body, motor and tranny), carrier bearings and basically any movable joints and items close to rubbing. They found nothing. I can now hear/feel the sound when i turn, its not loud but i can hear and feel it. I also checked my bushings, tirerod ends and everything looks ok. Anyone have any ideas. I really do not want to take it to nissan I just do not have the $$$ to do it.
Where do you feel it?

Seat of the pants -- driveline component or body mount problem maybe.

Through the steering wheel -- steering component or front suspension or front brakes maybe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts