Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im driving down the street soing about 40-45 when my car suddenly starts to slow down while IM still hiiting the gas--I thought it was maybe cuz I was low on gas and thought nothing of it.....

A week or two later IM on the expway going 80 and the car drops to 40 the same as b4 with a full tank of gas.....

I just took it to a shop and found out that the transmission needs to be rebuilt--$750 to have it done :eek:

Its a 98 with 45,000 miles!!!-if U can bellieve it

Any suggestions or comments at all would really help.....:(

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright I checked and I only had a three year 36,000 mile warranty...so IM stuck..

Now my car is an Auto so its not a question of over reving or anything like that...

I really had no idea what would cause this untill I spoke to a friend about it--he said it sounded like my transmission slipped-that the same thing happened to him on his old B13 and he had to have his tranny rebuilt...

The guy at the shop actually pulled it apart to see for himself and he showed me the damage--so its not like I think I might be getting scammed or anything...

I was hoping sum one around here would have experienced the same thing......this is sum depressing ass sh**...................

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh DAMN U would think I could tell wut U meant by LS :rolleyes: ...WUt do U guyz think???? And wut would I have to do and HOW??? I dunno maybe I should go withthe Sr20 swap>>>:confused:

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Neil said:
Did the guy say how this happened to your car? Do you drive it really hard or soemthing or is it "normal wear and tear"?

He asked me have I had any problems at all B4 this. The only one Ive had is when my car overheated because I was leaking coolant. He said thats its possible that if I was running the car hot and if coolant hit the tranny--that may have damaged it......

I really doubt that I can do the Sr20 swap-theres just no way I can afford that and all the G20 conversion Im planning to do. AND I already have all the G20 parts sitting in my house so thers no turning bac.....

Im thinking of maybe buying a sum wut used tranny rather than paying to have this one rebuilt--but I dont know if I want to risk it...

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
BORNGEARHEAD said:
YOUR CAR IS UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY!!!!! You have a 5year/60,000 mile drivetrain warranty from the factory.
No my warranty was for 3yrs-36,000 miles not 5 :( ....trust me I nearly cried when I saw my papers...

Addicted-its been a long time. Tell me wut happened wit your ride??

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
BORNGEARHEAD said:
ALL NISSANS COME STANDARD WITH A 3YEAR/36,000 MILE BUMPER TO BUMPER AND A 5YEAR/60,000 DRIVETRAIN. I GUARANTEE!!!!!! I work at a Nissan dealer. Your transmission IS covered under the 5year/60,000 warranty. I would hate to see you not get this replaced for free when you DO have this coming to you.
OMG!!!! I hope U know wut your talking about cuz IM about to start crying again :p .. Im going to hit the dealer this Sat. and get a for sure answer. All I did was check my papers and I saw the 3yr bump to bump but Maybe I just overlooked the 5yr drivetrain....

OH SH** U might be right about this!!! Damn this would be $700 in my pocket insted of in sum one elses...

OH yeah Addicted it def. sounds like the same thing that happen to me let me know wut U come up with....

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
so I went to the Nissan dealer and spoke with the service guy who was surpisingly cool about everything. He told me I have to first bring the car in during the week and leave it for the day.

They are going to have to pull the tranny and determine whether or not it was my fault it went bad-clutch is burned,oil,etc.....

I have to sign a $300 agreement that I will not have to pay as long as the tranny went bad on its own..If they find that it was due to my driving or wuteva then I lose that $$$ unless I have the tranny replaced by them....then it gets added to the actual cost of the job...

SO I dunnno Im a little nervous that they might try to blame it on me. Especially since I got the car all supped up--they might try extra hard to blame me for it...But I know my driving is'nt hard enuff to ruin it (I HOPE)

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
IM in Miami Lakes/Hialeah..My boy over jus told me the same thing... I just worry about buying a used tranny even if it is Jap Spec...

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
boost boy Thanks for the help and Ill pm U with my # so we can talk....

Wut Im thinking about doing right now is calling up the guy that actually told me the tranny was bad. IM hoping maybe he can tell me if he knew whether or not it went bad due to sumting I did or not.... I doubt he will be able to tell me anything more than wut he already did...

BUT Im just worried that the dealer might find that it went bad cuz of me and then I lose out on the $300 I have to sign for...I mean he said it wouldnt be a loss as long as I actually agree to do the tranny replacement with them.......BUT just imagine how much they are gonna charge for a brand new tranny and the labor to put it in......

Oh and Boost I would luv to seee the ride.....

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
ALL of you ........Borngearhead, boostboy, Yosho, etc.....all U guys have really been alot of help. I mean I really dont know that much about the mechanics of how the tranny could have got damaged and what not. I was going into this blindfolded B4 U guys started posting.....

I just dropped off the car this morning and I should hear from them some time this afternoon... I think with all the dealer and tranny info I got Im ready to go in there and fight for my NEW tranny....;) (Yosho)

The service guy seems cool but I still expect them to come up with something or the other to get out of it....

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Yosho theres no need to apologize at all..... That was explained very well.....

ALright so I this is what happened yesterday. I get a call at work from the service guy telling me that the mechanic needs me to come and take a test drive with him cuz he couldnt find anything wrong. So I cant help but get a little upset since the car is been with them all day and all hes telling me all they did was test drive it.

I explained that I drive the car everyday and a test drive is'nt going to show them anything-I told them the tranny shop I took it to before pulled the oil pan and the tranny and found the problem..

Then the Service Mgr. gets on the phone--trying to intimidate me and says that two diff. mechanics checked the car and they could not find one sign that would lead to them thinking there was a problem. He said the fluids were all checked and the drive was fine. I went off and said Y did I sign a $324 agreement to have this checked if all you guys want to do is test drive it. He put me on hold I hung up.

First service guy calls me back and tries to calm me down. He says Im going to be honest with you -I told them they shouldnt have to pull the tranny if they dont find any signs of damage. We spent 10 min. on the phone talking about how it all.

Basically hes saying that they have no cause for pulling it and if they take the time to do it and nothing is really wrong with it I would have to pay the $300. He told me I have an extended warranty for another 25,000 miles and IM better off just waiting it out rather than take the risk now on spending the $ to have it checked when they see nothing wrong with it all....

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I know that was long.....lol

SO Im just going to keep riding and see what happens. I mean a part of me wants to make them pull it but the service guy had a point with what he was saying. If the tranny is really damaged than it will happen again....in fact if it really is damaged than it should be happening all the time.....

I got 25,000 more miles worth of coverage and I know what to look out for......

But to be honest I dont feel to confident about this at all......I dont know maybe I should have demanded to have it pulled and checked regardless of the $$$ but how could I trust that the first tranny shop was right about it being damaged....uknow

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
hEY BOOST Im going to giv U a call either 2nite or tommorow during the day.....

I took it to Esserman and George was the guy that was handling it. I think hes new there but he was cool with me..

Im def. going to give U a call so we can ride......If U dont hear from me and U dont have anything to do give me another call cuz I may forget......Uknow how Saturdays can get.....

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Once again Yosho thank you for the book report.....;) It kinda really put things in perspective for me. What IM going to do now is give them another visit and make sure this guy was'nt bullshi**in me about my extended warranty and then find out the difference with deductibles and what not.....

Mb--The car went from 80 down to 20 and then 10 one time and before that it went 50 to 10 mph --I dunno if this is wut U wanted to know....

ALSO just to let everyone know that was intrested in BoostBoy's SUPER B12 I will be checking it out and going for a ride very soon--SO Ill let everyone know just how real that 170 is....:p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.