Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if a 5 speed transmission from a 89 sentra will work in my 92 sentra? I saw a chart on the net somewhere that said the 5spd's are the same from 88 to 96. any info is much apprieciated.

Thanks

Ned

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi, i used to have a 1987 Sentra 5 speed and the trans. seems to be the same i have now on my '93 but looking at the transaxle-to-engine bolts they look similar between the 1987-1988 and the 1989-1990 but different on 1991 and later GA's and 1991 and later SR... so probably they are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
126 Posts
nedou812 said:
I was wondering if a 5 speed transmission from a 89 sentra will work in my 92 sentra? I saw a chart on the net somewhere that said the 5spd's are the same from 88 to 96. any info is much apprieciated.

Thanks

Ned
Which engine Ned? Which engine did the 89 tranny came from and what engine does the 92 have?

Unless we know the engine it is difficult to say. My first guess though is NO.

And can you post the link for the chart so we take a look at it?

Chris

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
SR20DE and GA16DE trannies are not interchangeable if that helps any. I thought they didn't make 5 speeds for sentras until the B13?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sentra Tranny Chart
heres the link for that chart, but i have checked it out and they do not interchange. it will bolt up, but the inputs for the axles are different and the rear transmission mount is different. thanks for to everyone for trying to help.

Ned

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trans that fits '91-'92 sentra 1.6L?....

1) junkyard specs show only the '91-'92 5-speed will fit the 1.6L sentra...but mechanics say the '93-'96 will fit if the electrical 'speed sensor' is replaced with the mechanical drive speedometer gear...
....anyone know if it's that simple?...maybe the drive gear inside the trans is different?...other things don't fit?

2) as last resort, anybody know what 4-speeds fit '91-'92 1.6L, without mods?...at least we could avoid the 5-th gear pop-out....which is likely to come along with a used trans....
...TIA....lou

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5th gear pop out

I recently installed a salvaged 5spd in my 92 1.6 sentra, and unfortunately this one pops out of 5th too. The junkyard will refund my $400, but it doesnt help me much now, and I did the work for nothing.

Ned

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5th popout discussion (SE-R)...

1)looks like only "sure" fix is a rebuild, or change to 4-spd....but 4-spd may have some "fit" problems...hope somebody answers the question about 4-spd interchange feasibility, & years...

2)it may be possible to correct the 5th gear popout problem.....there is a detailed discussion of that on the SE-R site (link below). Keep in mind that SE-R trans is somewhat different, but solution may be same...

3)there are different opinions, but concensus is that the first generation (SE-R) 5th gear was too "thick", and blocked the synchro from fully engaging 5th gear, especially after wear opens up clearances...

4)you might fix your original trans with a later 5th gear (if there is one)....*but*, you will have to disassemble the input shaft, which looks like a real hassle....and requires detailed setup specs...

5)SE-R 5th popout discussion:
http://www.se-r-list.org/fifth.gear.phtml

1 - 8 of 8 Posts