Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the tranny fluid ever need to be changed in the 2009 CVT? Aside from what the manual says, I'd like to get the opinions of folks who perform their own maintenance.

Thanks.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,923 Posts
Typically, you don't need to replace the fluid in Nissan CVT transmissions during average driving conditions, unless the fluid appears dirty when checked. It'll usually last the lifetime of the trans. Keep in mind that a CVT trans doesn't use clutch packs that wear, like in a conventional type auto trans. Rather it uses a steel braided chain that effectively changes ratios by the increasing/decreasing the riding circumferance of the pulleys inside the trans. If you tow with the vehicle or drive in muddy or dusty roads a lot, or an environment that would be considered "severe duty," then you should replace CVT fluid every 60,000 miles and use genuine Nissan CVT fluid.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see it says to change at 30K. I have a Prius with a CVT, and they definitely need it changed at 30k. Hopefully it's something I can do myself on the Sentra.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ON all my other vehicles I have changed all fluids out with amsoil. This includes diffs, transmission, oil, and transfer case (if equiped with 4x4). But when I bought my 09 auto sentra I asked about changing the fluids. The dealer (salesperson) told me that if you mess with the CVT fluid your warranty will be voided. Something about special precautions needing to be taken when changing it out. I didnt get to talk with the service personelle, but please before you go and change any auto transmission fluids.... Please talke to a service manager IN PERSON. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm an Amsoil dealer - Amsoil doesn't make any fluid for the CVT of a Nissan. Changing the fluid can't be that difficult though. They probably just want to make sure you buy their fluid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I havent checked out what amsoil makes for the CVT yet, but most nissan tranny fluid is MaticJ... right. So wouldnt the amsoil ATF work for it? I just bought my first vehicle ever with the CVT so its not like I would dare change any fluids witout first quadruple checking, but it seems like it should work... Right?

OH and one more thing... you are an amsoil dealer and you are asking about changing fluids... This strikes me as odd. Arent you supposed to be versed in the world of fluids if you are an authorized dealer? Please dont take that as a negative comment, i just thought that all the oil distributers had to be motor heads (or at least I expected as much).

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
^^^Nissan has several trans fluids.

Matic D
Matic J
Matic K
CVT

They are NOT interchangeable! CVT transmissions MUST use CVT fluid!

·
Registered
734 Posts
why dont you just keep your warranty and have the service dept. change it when they say it needs changed? Nissan Research and Development team has tested at least the engine and tranny, and know when the fluid is not doing its job and needs changed in the CVT.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greenbean- Most manufacturers say the fluid will last way longer than it actually does. They are not in the business of making things last forever, for sure the dealer isn't. I always change my trans fluids early. I don't believe in lifetime fluids.

S_e_X-Terra- I wanted opinions of actual owners.
CVT's are relatively new to the market, as in they just started making them again these last 8 or so years.

I have a Prius, and the Amsoil ATF is NOT a suitable replacement for Toyota WS. The only people that make a replacement for Toyota WS are Redline, their D6 trans fluid.

As far as me being a motorhead, I have had just about every make of motorcycle and car this side of the Atlantic, but I am new to CVT's, and I am not above asking for opinions. My conclusions are decided by oil analysis, which I have not done for the CVT in my Prius. Other Prius owners have had fluid analysis done on theirs, and it is conclusive that:

A. It should be changed way earlier than suggested.

B. Amsoil ATF isn't the best replacement for the Prius CVT's.

It didn't ruin the tranny, but some folks are uncomfortable with the wear metals drained, and the shifting isn't as good as using Redline D6, which meets the standards of Toyota WS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
triumph - like i said i wasnt trying to offend you... now hearing what you do and know i feel much more comfortable hearing your opinions on this matter. Please, if you hear anything about the Tranny fluid for our vehicles then let me know, because I am an amsoil fanatic. I have religiously used it in all my vehicles.

:givebeer:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
triumph - like i said i wasnt trying to offend you... now hearing what you do and know i feel much more comfortable hearing your opinions on this matter. Please, if you hear anything about the Tranny fluid for our vehicles then let me know, because I am an amsoil fanatic. I have religiously used it in all my vehicles.

:givebeer:
I love Amsoil too, but in this case, Amsoil is behind. Import trannys are a little touchy- If Amsoil tells me they make a fluid for an application, I'll use it. At this time they flat out say they have no replacement for Toyota WS. I'm trying to find out about Nissan, but I have not heard a definitive answer yet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Motor oil,tranny fluids are there to keep the temps down and parts properly lubricated.The cleaner the fluid,the longer your motor or transmission will last.

When you take the pan off an automatic transmission all that silver stuff at the bottom of the pan are all fine metal particles floating around.That's what eats up your tranny.

So if your tranny fluid looks dark or silvery, I'd change it.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
The Nissan CVT works differently from most CVT's.
Most CVT's are a pull chain/belt.
Nissan uses a push chain/belt.
On the write up I read they use a special fluid that helps "stick" the chain in a rigid line to push the driven gear / pulley.
Use the correct fluid or you may pay dearly.
Sign me " No CVT's for me, but never say never"

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Nissan CVT works differently from most CVT's.
Most CVT's are a pull chain/belt.
Nissan uses a push chain/belt.
On the write up I read they use a special fluid that helps "stick" the chain in a rigid line to push the driven gear / pulley.
Use the correct fluid or you may pay dearly.
Sign me " No CVT's for me, but never say never"
I emailed their tech support, they said it meets the OEM Requirements.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
I emailed their tech support, they said it meets the OEM Requirements.
Let us know if you use the redline ( I like redline MT90 by the way)
and how it turns out....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts