Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 92 Sentra E with 3speed auto.
It started to leak tranny fluid. It leaves a puddle on the ground (about 1-2inches in diameter) When I checked under the car, it seemed like the leak was coming from axle seal on the passenger side. So I replaced the seal.
But it still leaks. It still seems like the leak is coming from the axle seal. (can't see above the seal with the axle in place)

What is causing this?
Is there any other place I should check out?
Also, is the axle shaft on the passenger side supposed to move freely about 2 inches in and out of the transmission? or does it supposed to click (retaining clip) into the transmission?

Please help me out. Thank you.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
surfin said:

Also, is the axle shaft on the passenger side supposed to move freely about 2 inches in and out of the transmission?

There is supposed to be movement WITHIN the boot (side attached to the trans}, so sounds like you're O.K. So if you grasp the axle shaft (and it's disconnected from the wheel side) there should be a couple of inches (or whatever) movement, but you shouldn't be able to yank it out of the trans. {This movement allowance necessary so that when the wheel hits a bump and it travels up or down it won't yank the shaft out of the trans.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
My tranny leaks also, but I have a '92 SE-R (manual trans). My leak is coming from worn neutral and reverse switches. I've tried using sealant, but it has started leaking again. I'm not sure where the switches would be located on an automatic, but you may want try looking around the switches.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see. I'll ckeck around those switches.

Any other comments?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seal is probably leaking, make sure you get a A/T seal not a M/T seal. It is best to install the seal with a seal installer, as they are easily damaged.

As to your shaft, it should not pull out of the trans. The play should be in the joint (under the boot) . (as mentioned by Centurion)

If you need more help feel free to e-mail me at Ray Brandt Answer Guys

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The seal I installed is for the A/T. But I didn't use seal installer, instead, I used large socket. Perhaps I might've damaged the seal when I did this...

Or, something might be wrong with my axle?
When I pull on the inner CV joint, it will move in and out of the trans. I mean there is play WITHIN the CV boots, but the axle will move in and out of the trans.
Does the axle supposed to click in place like the driver side axle?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts