Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , Just got this truck. Already had a hitch and was wired for lights. My boat trailer lights did not work. Thought maybe the wiring harness's little coversion box was bad. Went to Auto Zone and bought a unverisal wiring kit. Hooked it up to the same wires that were used before,,and yes it is right. Now I only get dim turns and when I hit the brakes I even get a running light that comes on,,but just one. When I turn the headlamps on I get no lights at all on the trailer. It is not the trailer..When hooked up to my ford it works fine.
I have seen a post where it talks about a wiring harness and the power windows of the truck but that is 126 bucks!!! It also looks like I would have to run the whole harness the length of the truck!!. Is that other hitch light harness from Hoppy for around 50 to 60 bucks with the connectors on it all I need or can I make the unverisal one I just bought work.
Really need help with this one. Can't tow my boat until I get this fixed!!
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Ok , Just got this truck. Already had a hitch and was wired for lights. My boat trailer lights did not work. Thought maybe the wiring harness's little coversion box was bad. Went to Auto Zone and bought a unverisal wiring kit. Hooked it up to the same wires that were used before,,and yes it is right. Now I only get dim turns and when I hit the brakes I even get a running light that comes on,,but just one. When I turn the headlamps on I get no lights at all on the trailer. It is not the trailer..When hooked up to my ford it works fine.
I have seen a post where it talks about a wiring harness and the power windows of the truck but that is 126 bucks!!! It also looks like I would have to run the whole harness the length of the truck!!. Is that other hitch light harness from Hoppy for around 50 to 60 bucks with the connectors on it all I need or can I make the unverisal one I just bought work.
Really need help with this one. Can't tow my boat until I get this fixed!!
Thanks!!!
I used the Hoppy on my '04 (LINK) and haven't had any issues. I check the lights every time I hook up the boat trailer and they work fine. I haven't towed at night or even dusk/dawn so I don't tow with the parking or headlights on. I think I'll put them on next time I take the boat out and check the lights to see if there is any instance that the trailer lights don't work correctly. I did check the connector on the truck end with a test light when I first hooked it up, and I tested with lights off, lights on, and had no issues. Maybe I just got lucky, but this setup seems to work fine for me. If it doesn't work for you, I would think you could bring it back since it's a "no cutting" install. Good Luck. Please post your results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok problem sloved with the Hoppy connector as you posted in the above reply. Works like a charm. Even the trailer running lights!!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Ok problem sloved with the Hoppy connector as you posted in the above reply. Works like a charm. Even the trailer running lights!!
Thanks!!
Cool :cheers:

You may want to pull the spliced-in stuff off and seal up the "cuts".

Happy Boating!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts