Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I could really use some advice. I use my 2002 Pathfinder to tow two snowmobiles in an enclosed clamshell trailer. With everything, I don't think I'm towing more than 2k lbs. Going up hill in the snow is a nightmare in 4wd hi and low. I'm surprised, since I never had this problem with my 97 Explorer. Is it because the Pathfinder is too light, or do I have the wrong tires on it? I've got Michelin LTX M+S on it now, but I'm wondering if I need to upgrade to a more aggressive tire. Or do I need to upgrade my truck? Thanks for your help!

Larry:confused:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I dont really see these pathfinders as being real workhorses by any stretch of the imagination.Having owned numerous pickups over the last 35 years (bigger V8s) i feel those trucks were more suited to handle any kind of towing.As much as i enjoy my 92 it still seems to me as more of a grocery getter than a work or tow vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Although I am new to the Pathfinders. I have a 2005 pathfinder and I have 21 foot boat. I think just over 3,ooo. It tows great. I have never tried to tow anything in the snow. My PAthfinder is so much better to tow with than my old JEEP Cherokee

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2002 has plenty of power and, with the exception of traction, tows as well as my former vehicle (97 Explorer V8). I'm just wondering (hoping) that all-terrain tires will help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doe's anybody tow travel trailers.

Just wondering if anybody tows trailers with there Pathfinders. Im thinking of towing a 5000lb trailer. I have a 2008 V8 5.6 litre Pathfinder with a 7000lb capicity.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello. I could really use some advice. I use my 2002 Pathfinder to tow two snowmobiles in an enclosed clamshell trailer. With everything, I don't think I'm towing more than 2k lbs. Going up hill in the snow is a nightmare in 4wd hi and low. I'm surprised, since I never had this problem with my 97 Explorer. Is it because the Pathfinder is too light, or do I have the wrong tires on it? I've got Michelin LTX M+S on it now, but I'm wondering if I need to upgrade to a more aggressive tire. Or do I need to upgrade my truck? Thanks for your help!

Larry:confused:
Are you certain that the front tires/differential is engaging?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have had experience with the LTX M/S on two different vehicles, and I think they are the best highway tire out there if they will see duty in the snow or off road. They had excellent snow traction on my 99 ML320 and my mom's 04 Pilot, but I never tried to tow anything. I would imagine no matter what the tire is towing in the snow will be a challenge, and if the trailer is putting most of the weight on the back of the vehicle (especially the rear tires) then the usefulness of the front wheels declines even more. I cannot explain why your explorer would have done a better job towing in these conditions, but I do know plenty of people who use their pathfinders for towing (all years through different forums) and have no trouble as long as they stay in the recommended weights and what not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts