Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a black 2000 Max SE, got a few scratches, couple are kinda deep, any advice out there on touching these up and not making a mess of things... doesn't the dealer usually have touch up paint pens? Thanks in advance for any help!!!

daleheck

·
even better the 2nd time
2,719 Posts
yeah
you can buy the pens from the dealership or parts store
the pens are super easy to use, highly recommend these for little scratches

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
What I do is to use touch-up paint and apply it to the bottom of the scratch with a tooth pick in a thin layer. Let it dry, and repeat until the level of paint is above the surface. This takes the better part of a day to several days since the paint should be completely dry before the next layer is applied.

Next I take an old T-shirt and cut off a patch of it, stretch it tightly it around a 3/4-1" square of 1/2" thick wood, and tack in place. Then I apply rubbing compound to the flat surface and work over the scratch in a small circular pattern with light-moderate pressure until it is just completely even with the surface. Take your time with this and check it often by wiping the rubbing compound off with a wet cloth and then dry the surface so you can see the scratches/swirl marks clearly.

Next I go over the area with polishing compound on a soft cloth to remove the swirl marks left by the rubbing compound.

Finish off with a good wax.

The scratch will be undetectable.

Lew

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
lshadoff said:
What I do is to use touch-up paint and apply it to the bottom of the scratch with a tooth pick in a thin layer. Let it dry, and repeat until the level of paint is above the surface. This takes the better part of a day to several days since the paint should be completely dry before the next layer is applied.

Next I take an old T-shirt and cut of a patch of it, wrap it around a 3/4-1" square of 1/2" thick wood, and tack in place. Then I apply rubbing compound to the flat surface and work over the scratch in a small circular pattern with light-moderate pressure until it is just completely even with the surface. Take your time with this and check it often by wiping the rubbing compound off with a wet cloth and then dry the surface so you can see the scratches/swirl marks clearly.

Next I go over the area with polishing compound on a soft cloth to remove the swirl marks left by the rubbing compound.

Lew

damn thats good stuff!

be careful with anything black, if you screw up the touch up it wil look worse then the scratch itself

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
jesus! i don't think he needs to spray his car! lol just alittle touch up. lews idea sounds like it will get the best results. but those sprays are good if you want to DIY an interior piece and color match it :thumbup: since its not in direct contact with the cars body you eye will most likely never detect the difference between the oem paint and the duplicolor :cheers:

·
even better the 2nd time
2,719 Posts
hehe
a part of my rear bumper was painted by me...using the duplicolor color-match paint

and i can barely tell...and im a tough critic on my own car

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
Radioaktiv said:
hehe
a part of my rear bumper was painted by me...using the duplicolor color-match paint

and i can barely tell...and im a tough critic on my own car
yea, but red is a soild color. with my car i think a duplicolor job would look pretty shoody (that silver metal flaky color)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks bro

lshadoff said:

Next I take an old T-shirt and cut off a patch of it, stretch it tightly it around a 3/4-1" square of 1/2" thick wood, and tack in place. Then I apply rubbing compound to the flat surface and work over the scratch in a small circular pattern with light-moderate pressure until it is just completely even with the surface. Take your time with this and check it often by wiping the rubbing compound off with a wet cloth and then dry the surface so you can see the scratches/swirl marks clearly.

Lew
thanks a bunch!! I will tackle as described.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts