Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to ask, but I don't know and want to find out: Does the 2001 Sentra GXE has spark plugs? I open the hood and there are four caps with screws on the top where I would suspect the spark plugs to be. From each of those caps there are 3 wires leading out to what would look like a distributer cap (but it has about 30 wires coming out of it). I'm really curious because I wanted to get performance plugs and distibuter. Why does the intake tubes branch off in so many directions? I pulled out the big air box (completely sealed box that was a branch off of the intake tube, located in front left part of bumper behind the fog light housing), is that a good thing or a bad thing? Also I wanted to know if there is a turbo kit out there for the 1.8L engine. Thanks in advance.

P.S. If anybody can please let me know of some inexpensive mods I can make (get) to boost power and make the car perform better please let me know!

01 Sentra GXE
Cloud White w/ front windshield sticker that reads "Big Willie"
Please share the wealth of knowledge!

·
Bow down BiAtch >;o)
1,356 Posts
yes the spark plugs are underneath those caps. the big tube behind the bumper is where the air get's pulled in.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Black Box?!?

Thanks for the help. I was looking at the intake tubes and one lead down into a sealed box that looks like the air box where the filter is but has only one tube where the air can go in/out. Was wondering what that was?!? I pulled it out and it seems more like a place where the air is collected rather anything else. Well, I guess I'll get me some new plugs. Thanks again

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
Re: Black Box?!?

h38rtl355 said:
Thanks for the help. I was looking at the intake tubes and one lead down into a sealed box that looks like the air box where the filter is but has only one tube where the air can go in/out. Was wondering what that was?!? I pulled it out and it seems more like a place where the air is collected rather anything else. Well, I guess I'll get me some new plugs. Thanks again
dude. Save your money. Don't buy new spark plugs. The stock ones are fine.

Do yourself a favor and read some of the forum ehre and go to www.b15sentra.net and search under peformance for QG18DE mods.

·
Bow down BiAtch >;o)
1,356 Posts
Re: Black Box?!?

h38rtl355 said:
The black box your talking about may be the sensor?, I'm not too sure how your engine looks though.
Just a suggestion.....you should at least get an aftermarket filter or intake to replace the airbox they're not expensive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We have distributorless ignition systems. So you can't get a performance distributor because you don't even have one. The coils sit right on top of the plugs.

For your first performance mods you could get a cold air intake, header, exhaust, and pullies. Then do what Chimmike said about the searching.

Also, check out the Project 1.8 on NPM

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exhaust

What's the difference between getting a CAT back exhaust and just getting a straight through muffler? I have a straight through muffler right now cuz I like the way it sounds but is there more of a performance gain from a CAT back?!? Thanks All

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
There is a diff. it has to do with the piping, the QG has 2" mandral bent piping (stock) and that is pretty good compared to an aftermarket CAT back (running the exhaust system straight back from the cat. converter) a free flowing muffler and some piping you can have a custom cat back, like chimmike, hp gains are 2-5 from everything I have read it is to small a gain to feel the diff. Highend power is where the gains are.

·