Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking alot about this today. I have a basic understanding of how the upgraded one works, but I'm confused about one thing. Does it go up to the stall speed every time the converter is activated, or only when its floored (kinda like when it downshifts)? What I mean is, if I'm cruising at around 1900 rpm and I push a little harder, will it go to 3000 rpm it I get the stall there? (you can tell when the converter activates...its a little louder) From my observation today, if I'm cruising and then push a little harder, but not near floored, my rpms go up to about 2350-2400. Would it go to 3000 with the upgraded one? This is the only question I need answered before I decide whether or not to get one. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went straight to the source.

I sent Andre at Edge Converters a copy of my post. This was his reply (and a quick one too):

Hello again Andre,
The question you ask is a common one. The converter only converts torque off the line and then becomes a simple fluid coupler.
On a tightly configured converter it will roll off the line easy, or you can build stall on the foot brake for a much more aggressive launch.
A properly built 3000rpm stall converter will act much like your stock unit in every day driving. One of the main advantages to upgrading is the amount of torque you are able to multiply off the line. The higher multiplication helps launch the car harder and puts more power to your tires for the first 60-75 feet. Configuring the unit "tight" helps keep it street able and efficient.

The torque converter is always active will the motor is running. It will not get louder and should never make a noise you can hear.
Other questions? Give us a call at 888 350 EDGE. Andre

·
Driver
736 Posts
Cool...so the upgraded converter acts like the stock one under regular driving, it's just that you get the bonus of being able to bring the revs up really high(like in a manual) when doing a drag race type launch.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Level Ten makes stall converters for our cars as far as I know. I think they even make entire transmissions with shorter gear ratios for our cars also. I hope so. While I sit here and pray for my auto tranny to suddenly fail for no reason so I can swap it out for a manual, I'm also trying to research auto tranny upgrades. I've been told I can't drive to save my own life anywhere but in a straight line so I figure drag is more my thing than auto-x. Don't give up on your auto. It's good for dragging especially if you have the cash to upgrade them ($$$$). You'll never miss a shift with an auto, no doubt.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Level Ten's converters run close to $500...and they need your stock one right away...meaning...downtime. Andre' is selling me the converter for $425, and I dont have to send mine back till I install his....meaning...no downtime. ;) I hear that level ten has a great tranny upgrade though...I'd go with them for a full transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts