Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the innercooler i have is quite large and the only place i think it could go is on top any ideas on mounting since it will be covering stuff on the engin i want to somehow take it off easly zipties are a no no i do body work so getting air to it wont b a problem any idea on how to mount it thanx

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
ever hear of punctuation?

okay. so if the intercooler is large. front mount it. making a large top mount with no hood scoop would do: NOTHING! All it would do is create major heatsoak from the engine, which would super heat up that IC pretty darn fast and make it essentially worthless.

Don't make a hood scoop for it, either.

you're creating way too much work out of it. Making it a front mount should be easy. And if you got an intercooler that really is too big to front mount, you need to get a smaller intercooler.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
The RB20DET in the 200ZR used a top mount IC. So does the Subaru WRX and STi. Among other things, one problem with the design is airflow. Most hood scoops tend to be overridden by the greater pressure and volume coming in the front (radiator) inlet, and so end up backflowing at speeds above 50 mph. Heat soak is also a bigger problem with top mounts, even more so than with front mounts, which can get heat soaked from hot pavement in a hurry when sitting still. Front mount is still a much better way to go. Top mounts only true advantages are simpler plumbing and somewhat less turbo lag. Often you can plumb the IC right in between the turbo outlet and the throttle body with almost no extra piping involved.

·