Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to be repetitive but who has had this top end issue on a 96 Sentra engine? The thing has around 200k and does not appear to be out of time at all? But this has yet to be determined with a light. Also the oil pressure sure does seem like it's killer but again have not gauged it to know for sure. The issue here sure does seem to be valve train related for sure! I mean this engine runs like a top until it gets hot then I get the noise at around 2k rpms or at shift point. Someone has to have been there done this? Shims, lifters ?? Or somthing else?? I am thinking I will verify the timing and oil pressure and rip into it this weekend but If I need somthing that only the Stealer has like shims or possibly a lifter I would like to have it on hand when i am fixing it..... Thanks again.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
What oil are you using? If sounds appear only with hot engine then your oil may have reached enf of it's lifetime. Viscosity and other properties might be something toatally else than supposed to be.

I have hear from many people that Castrol magnatec 5w40 would be good basic oil to GA so it's next thing I'm gonna try. And if you want very high performance oils, then castrol has some great products for this too and redline is another good one but best one at the moment might be... ammm... kendal. Though it might be close to redline too...

there are options for high quality oils I have recearhed lately. :)

And reason why noise migth occur on warm or hot engine could be because of too low viscosity oil so oil pressure will be too low and hydraulic tensioners might not be working properly... for example.

try to change oil to some very good one and remember to change filter at the same time.

- No-Pain -

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bud but that was the very first thing that I tried ! I tried a couple of different viscosity's and I even tried Seafoam additives and STP oil treatment! The only thing that I have not done is what I must do and is a very basic thing when it comes to mechanics 101. That is put a mechanical oil pressure gauge to it and a timing light to see if it has jumped time. If it has it is the smoothest running engine I have ever owned that has jumped time with out a doubt! I am a mechanic and my hobby is American Iron V8's.and Diesel engines,they are what I know. I will get into it heavy this weekend and will know for sure if it's a junk or it's salvageable. Anyone know what the sender thread is? Or is there another spot to grab the oil pressure from? Results to follow......Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts