Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the toda cams will fit on a fwd sr20de and if so can they be used on a daily driven car. Also, does anyone have any experience w/ the toda cams or any of their products and how do they perform compared to jwt cams, other cams? I'm looking at upgrading my cams but dont know what would be the best product to go with, price not being an issue.

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
atk trading does toda products
they can fit the fwd with a small modification that's not the problem. the problem is actually getting them imported. i have known someone to order them and then wait for months until finally giving up.

you can also think about hks cams that run all the high powered supras

*opinion* they are both better than JWT but just harder to get
O

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
You forgot to mention JUN cams, the ne plus ultra of SR20 cams.

As for your opinion, well, on what do you base it for SR20 cams?

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
you are correct i didn't mention jun cams but they do *opinion* are better than jwt

my opinion is based on history and resources these japanese companies have longer former and more of the latter

i have seen the jun dyno about 1 or 2 hp more than JWT if you can get your hands on toda they have more radical cams than the C-series of JWT

O

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
onyxeros said:
you are correct i didn't mention jun cams but they do *opinion* are better than jwt

my opinion is based on history and resources these japanese companies have longer former and more of the latter

i have seen the jun dyno about 1 or 2 hp more than JWT if you can get your hands on toda they have more radical cams than the C-series of JWT

O
None of the more radical cams that Toda has will work with the hydralic lash adjusters that the USM SR20's will have.

You will need to get a lash killer kit with adjusting shims and stuff which is a real pita to deal with, basicaly you have to adjust the lash with select fit shims.

JWT cams are the most powerful hydralic cams on the market and thats a fact backed up by dyno testing, not an opinion.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
I won't buy a motorcycle with shim under bucket and I sure as heck won't buy a car with the same set-up. It's bad enough having to adjust valves with screw adjusters (Datsun 1600 Roadster and Bandit).

One point implied is the subject refers to STREET cams. I wouldn't consider any solid-lifter cam or even JWT C-series as street cams in re the SR20. That removes the radical Toda cams from consideration.

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
morepower2 said:

None of the more radical cams that Toda has will work with the hydralic lash adjusters that the USM SR20's will have.

You will need to get a lash killer kit with adjusting shims and stuff which is a real pita to deal with, basicaly you have to adjust the lash with select fit shims.

JWT cams are the most powerful hydralic cams on the market and thats a fact backed up by dyno testing, not an opinion.
I will not participate in a JWT vs all debate but JWT has been beaten via dyno tests (as i have previously posted) by other manufactures

It also doesn't help that neither jun, toda, or hks has ever been compared directly with JWT if you know if it please post the dyno if not it is all opinion and if you don't believe that go over to se-r.net archives and do a search and see the debate first hand.

Personally *opinion* as i look for cams JWT will be far from my first choice

O

·
Platinum
462 Posts
How about Tomei?

I heard Tomei made excellent SR20 cams also. I think Tomei cams did better than JWT S3 on Dyno too. (no low end loss) I bet those are hard to get like Toda, but I am interested to throw them into my car near future.

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
Re: How about Tomei?

CarbonBlack200 said:
I heard Tomei made excellent SR20 cams also. I think Tomei cams did better than JWT S3 on Dyno too. (no low end loss) I bet those are hard to get like Toda, but I am interested to throw them into my car near future.
yet another good company!
I just say that before everyone quotes JWT as God take a look around to find info for yourself

O

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
Have the JUN and HKS cams been dyno tested against the JWT's..? I dont remember reading about them in teh shootout...just curious...

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
onyxeros said:

It also doesn't help that neither jun, toda, or hks has ever been compared directly with JWT if you know if it please post the dyno if not it is all opinion and if you don't believe that go over to se-r.net archives and do a search and see the debate first hand.

O
see above :D
O

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
It was actually directed more to Mike...Im curious, as I have a good deal on the HKS 264's...and I would like to break out of the box so to speak..Im curious of the differences/similarities...:)

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
onyxeros said:

I will not participate in a JWT vs all debate but JWT has been beaten via dyno tests (as i have previously posted) by other manufactures

Personally *opinion* as i look for cams JWT will be far from my first choice

O
Not according to my tests and I have actualy tested them except the HKS and Toda cams. As I stated before, the Toda cams that have the potential to beat the JWT cams are mechanical and not hydralic and most people don't have the knowlege to work with this sort of setup.

If you have emperical evidence of other cams of simular spec beating JWT then post it. I have yet to test a cam that makes more power than a JWT C3 with no other changes.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Black200SXSER said:
It was actually directed more to Mike...Im curious, as I have a good deal on the HKS 264's...and I would like to break out of the box so to speak..Im curious of the differences/similarities...:)
HKS does not make junk, without knowing the lift, I would say that it should be close to the JWT S3.

Mike

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Black200SXSER said:

Have the JUN and HKS cams been dyno tested against the JWT's..? I dont remember reading about them in teh shootout...just curious...
HKS cams were not available until recently so I have no direct opinion other than HKS stuff is generaly good quality.

JUN refused to take part in the cam shootout although from testing done by myself, there cams are close to the S3 and S4 JWT grinds. The JWT cams make slightly more power in my testing. JUN stuff is high quality and they don't make junk

Zex cams are ok for the two biggest grinds, don't bother with the two smaller grinds, still JWT comes out on top.

Tomei has the best bottom end but the worst top end of any cam I tested, still decent cams and the cheapest.

JUN, Tomei, HKS and Zex cams are all pretty good but the JWT cams have better area under the lift curve and have better valvetrain harmoincs. With the ECU that is tuned for the cams, the power is great and the powerband is wide.

The junk SR20 cams which are proably not even avalible anymore are Bullfrog, Crower and JG. Don't touch those with a 10 foot pole!

In my testing the JWT cams did better than the SCC tests but I used an ECU tuned for the cams and SCC did not.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Black200SXSER said:
the ones Im looking at are the HKS 264's 11.0 int 10.5 exh by the specs I can find
Wow, that is hardly any more lift than stock, I would speculate that they would make signifcantly less power than the S3 especialy on the high port motors. On low port motors, it might be closer.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Re: How about Tomei?

CarbonBlack200 said:
Of all the cams I have fooled with the Tomei are my least favorite of the good cams if that makes any sence.

They have the least power gain and are made of this real flaky iron that can contaminate your engine. You can actualy chip chunks off with your fingernails, a lot of chunks.

On the other hand, they are the cheapest cams and they do make more power which is more than some camakers do.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts