Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys (and Gals),

It's been absolutely FOREVER since I've been around - but the time has come...

It's time to start looking around for another vehicle to replace the '92. Body rust and 200,000 miles (320,000 kms) have taken it's toll. She's been an amazing vehicle and has been pretty low maintenance for the 10 yrs we've owned her. So I thought getting another Pathy was maybe a good idea. So on that...

I have a line on a 1995 SE 4wd with around 110K miles for around $5000. The all black finish (new paint) looks a mile deep. The owner said he has before and after photos of the body work - mostly fender work - typical. He said it has not needed any rear frame repairs (above the wheels) and has just passed local safety inspections.

The beauty of this purchase would be that some of the more recent parts as well as the nerf bars and aluminum wheels with new 31x10.5's we have on our rust-bucket would likely fit on the new one. Not to mention my obvious familiarities with the maintenance of these vehicles (I do it almost all myself - thanks to a natural "bent" and of course places like this).

So just thought I would check what the rest of you thought of this. Anything in particular I should be looking out for?

Thanks,

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well, I'm glad you've posted again Zilverado, I hadn't seen you in a while..Here's my opinion, I consider this low mileage for a Pathfinder..110 K is nothing for a VG(you know this) and the paint work should be worth an easy $1,000. Just a thing or two to consider. Heath from KY.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Sounds like a good deal.

Since you own a 92, the 95 shouldn't be that much different. I guess the main concern is the timing belt... any receipts to show it was changed?

·
Registered
145 Posts
$5000 sounds a little steep, even for the relatively low mileage. I just bought my 95' loaded SE a few months back for $2500 with zero body damage, almost perfect factory paint, a very solid frame, and only the typical rear door jam rust spot on the body. Does you potential purchase have a ticking sound when accelerating? That is the trademark sound of a cracked or broken manifold bolts...another PITA repair. Have you checked out e-bay? I bought my from craigslist, but I am not sure if local listings exist for them outside the US.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, I agree with guinnessmike. C$5,000 is a bit steep for the vintage and the fuel consumption. [Craigslist exists for Vancouver, Canada. Not sure about Winterpeg.]

Is there a full and complete record of repairs and maintenance? Did the owner rust proof the underside on a regular basis with Krown Rust Control or similar?

Black is great for winter but a bit toasty for those hot prairie summers I would imagine.

Pundits are divided: some say oil is going to bottom at US$110/barrel soon, some say it is going lower. I would guess that prices of fuel-hungry SUVs will continue to decline as 2008 progresses. I would not be in a hurry to buy.

As always, a full safety and mechanical check by a qualified 3rd party is an excellent idea be it the local Auto Association shop or a Nissan dealership.

That and I would crawl under the chassis and poke around looking for rust, especially the rear half of the chassis and body.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts