Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased near new SV for towing rating. From "downunder" and only here for 6 months each year. Have been disconnecting battery on old vehicle for this time on previous vehicle (older Toyota SUV) with no reconnection problems.

If I do the same on the SV, what issues will I be facing and how to avoid any problems.

Thanks. Peterjg

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,341 Posts
You could erase the idle air volume memory, so you may have to go through a relearn procedure, which is a real pain without a scan tool. You'll also likely erase the steering wheel position memory, which will trigger a VDC code and illuminate the light. Often, it will relearn once you start driving, again, but, it may need to be reset with a capable scan tool if it doesn't fix itself.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,165 Posts
Just purchased near new SV for towing rating. From "downunder" and only here for 6 months each year. Have been disconnecting battery on old vehicle for this time on previous vehicle (older Toyota SUV) with no reconnection problems.

If I do the same on the SV, what issues will I be facing and how to avoid any problems.

Thanks. Peterjg
Just to add to what SMJ has posted, YES, you can possibly run into headaches if you disconnect the battery on a newer vehicle and leave it disconnected for a some longer period of time. Headaches you will face hinge on the amount of time the battery is disconnected. Yes, disconnect the battery for a brief time period and the headache is usually minimal like having to redo radio pre-sets.... Disconnect for longer periods of time and you can be in for some again, lets call them headaches. In fact headaches that may require dealer Service Department intervention.

Today's vehicles with electronic fly by wire throttle and such, do not take to battery disconnection easily. From what I've been told, technicians are given "relearn lists" that specifically instruct them on how to proceed after a procedure that required the battery to be disconnected. For example, anytime the ECU or the battery is disconnected for a time, the ECU looses power, or the ECU is reprogrammed, the ECU's learned idle position is lost, the engine idle is unstable when the learned idle position is lost.... this is where the tech and relearning comes in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts