Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Titan SE with powered drivers seat. It takes spells when powered down (sleep mode) moving the seat backrest forward 3/4" to 1 1/2" forward. Nothing else moves, only the backrest. Sometimes it may do it 2 or 3 times a day and other times it may go 2 days and not do it. This has been going on for a year, since the truck was new. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, was there a solution to fixing it?

The dealership is at a loss on how to correct it because they can't get it to duplicate the problem while in the service department. Nissan is reluctant to replace any parts until the dealership tells them what they find.

I know of another truck in my area doing the same thing, so there must be more out there with the same problem.

Any input from someone else would greatly be appreciated.

·
Yea, I'm a freak..
560 Posts
Focus on the switches on the side of the seat, they seam to be located too high up. Sitting off center will make you eat the dash in no time. For clarification, are you saying that your seat moves when no one is sitting in it (not familiar with "sleep mode")?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the switches aren't being touched and yes it does it when no one is in it. Sleep mode is what Nissan refers to the trucks system shutting down and every couple of hours it wakes itself up and runs a diagnostic on the whole vehicle then powers back down.
Something in this process triggers this seat backrest to move. I think it's in the body control module which costs $1500.00 and Nissan is reluctant to replace this until they know for sure.

·
Yea, I'm a freak..
560 Posts
Ahh, thanks for the education (not being a smartass). I've spent hours reading the ESM but never knew about the "sleep mode". I've noticed on a few occasions that my seat felt "odd" when getting into the truck and just played it off but you might be on to something here. Have you looked at the ESM to see if it mentions anything about this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything so far has been the dealership discussing this problem with Nissan engineers and even Nissan doesn't have a clue with what to do, or so they say. I talked directly with Nissan last week and their response is they need to have the problem occur at the dealer so they will know what direction to take.

I figure if enough people realize this is going on with their truck and take them in to the dealer and get Nissan's attention they may look into it farther. They also thought I was hitting the switch exiting the truck, but as I told them if that was the case the backrest would move backwards, not forward, for the way the switch is.

For now I'm trying to keep a log and measure the seat to see when it moves and what may cause it and try to duplicate it at the dealership unless someone else has this problem and has had it fixed and I can tell my dealership what to do.

Keep an eye on yours now and see if it moves, I'm curious now since you mention yours feeling odd.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I haven't. I haven't noticed many Titan's in my area running around. The ones I have seen are the LE models and they have the memory seats.
Not sure if it's the same BCM's. Plus not sure where the BCM is located on the truck.

·
Yea, I'm a freak..
560 Posts
The BCM is universal meaning that the BCM for the XE is the same for the LE, it for the most part recognizes what's plugged into it sorta like Plug -n "Pray" for pc's. The BCM is located in between the center console and the steering column behind the OBDII port. I can grab a pic from the ESM if you need it.

·
Yea, I'm a freak..
560 Posts
This doesn't help the movement problem but I found this while reading the ESM.

When BCM is in sleep mode, transistors of OUTPUT 1 and 5 stop the output, and BCM enters low-current-
consumption mode. OUTPUTS (2, 3, and 4) turn ON-OFF at 10 ms intervals, and receives lighting
switch input only.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input. Have you noticed your seat moving in the last day or so?
Do you know where you can go and read technical service bulletins? I've noticed there was a bulletin put out last year about BCM configurations.

·
Yea, I'm a freak..
560 Posts
This would be a good starting point as it will list recalls and TSB's for Nissan / Infiniti vehicles. I've not noticed any movement in a while so I don't know if it stopped or if I have grown used to it.

As for BCM configurations, the ESM shows the different configs for the different models (XE, SE and LE) if thats what your looking for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of your advice Slurppie. The www.nissanhelp.com website must be down.
I think my next course of action will be to file a Virginia Lemon Law claim. I may not get far with it for something this petty, but the truck has a problem and has been to the dealer 4 times and nothing gets resolved. I was pretty disappointed in Nissan engineer's stating they can't do anything until the service dept. figures out the problem. I told them, you need to figure out the problem, you designed and built the truck, not the service dept.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

·
Yea, I'm a freak..
560 Posts
I just came across an option within the BCM that might help track down the problem. If I'm reading the ESM correctly, the BCM maintains a log "WAKUP SLP LOG" which I would assume to be wakeup sleep log. I'm wondering if something is causing your BCM to come out of sleep mode which then applies power to your seat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You may be on to something. I've got to take it in tomorrow because now the service engine light is on, ( it only has 8500 miles on it). They also want to check the seat problem again. I told them it has moved 3 times today and it seems the more you drive it in a day starting and shutting it down the more it causes the seatback to move. I still say the problem is in the BCM since it controls everything inside the cab, but they are reluctant to try a differant one because of the price of the BCM.

·
Yea, I'm a freak..
560 Posts
Rthomas433 said:
You may be on to something. I've got to take it in tomorrow because now the service engine light is on, ( it only has 8500 miles on it). They also want to check the seat problem again. I told them it has moved 3 times today and it seems the more you drive it in a day starting and shutting it down the more it causes the seatback to move. I still say the problem is in the BCM since it controls everything inside the cab, but they are reluctant to try a differant one because of the price of the BCM.
Let me know if you want any info on the BCM, service managers often change their tune when you either know as much if not more about the vehicle then they do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Slurppie,

Just wanted to let you know that the service dept. today found out that the power seats don't run thtu the BCM, only the ones that have the memory setting option. The wires to the seat stay hot all the time running from the fuse panel. So for now I disconnected the power going to the seat.

I'm going to design it, (the way Nissan should've designed it), is to run a switch in between the ground side or positive side of the connector feeding power to the seat.

I have a couple of blank spots on the left bottom side of the dash where this could be done, but does your ESM show a switch that can be used in one of these blank spots? It would be nice to use a switch designed for one of these blank spots. Not sure what other auxillary switches Nissan would be putting in these extra spots. Let me know of a part number if you run across a switch that would work. Toggled or push in and out type.

Thanks again for all of your feedback with this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought mine was moving while the truck was turned off, but I really think its from my leg hitting the switches on the way in. I'd get out of the truck, measure the exact distance, then measure it again in the morning. It seems strange that a switch with constant power would "mysteriously" turn on. Its a solid state swich, not some electronic switching device.
- Nealio

1 - 20 of 28 Posts