Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently debating if I need new tires for my '99 Nissan Frontier. Its tires are still in really good condition and yes it passed the penny test. However for some reason it still slips and slides when it rains and winter is coming up fast. This is a truck from North Carolina by the way. Should I just go ahead and change the tires?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,049 Posts
Consider getting "All weather" tires. These will be better in rain/snow.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'm currently debating if I need new tires for my '99 Nissan Frontier. Its tires are still in really good condition and yes it passed the penny test. However for some reason it still slips and slides when it rains and winter is coming up fast. This is a truck from North Carolina by the way. Should I just go ahead and change the tires?

I replaced the factory Generals on my '04 with less than 10k on them (went with Kuhmo's and have been very happy). The wet traction was horrible (hydroplaning).

·
Registered
515 Posts
If the tires are original I'd replace them. They're about 9 to 10 years old which, according to some sources, is overdue for replacement. The rubber in older tires tends to get harder which will aggravate wet weather performance. You might want to do a good visual inspection of the sidewalls to see if you have any cracking or delaminations (bubbles). Even if the tires are only 5 or 6 years old I'd consider replacement.

Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Look for the date stamp on the tires...if theyre original they could be anywhere from 1-4 years older than your vehicle and just like everyone else said, the rubber tends to dry up over time thus making them harder. I had that problem with my original generals...i always told people i could compare them to a power wheels jeep with the plastic wheels...no traction haha.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The General radials that came on my old '90 King Cab SE as OE equipment were the worst tires I have ever had on a vehicle! :eek:

I got rid of them before they wore out (which didn't take very long!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts