Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im rockin' my 17 inchers right now. And yes, they slow me down. I don't feel the need to get after market wheels for slapping some good rubber on them. My question is can I wrap my stockies (14's I believe) with performace rubber (Kumho, Nitto, etc.) and what would you guys suggest purchasing? I haven't gotten into the compounds of tires or their ratings so I dont know much when it comes to tires. TIA for any suggetions and/or tips.

·
Hang out wit yo Wang out!
546 Posts
Yes you can, but as Mike Kojima would say: 17's don't necessarily slow you down, and I'm a leave it at that. If you are planning on racing on tracks then 14,15's are good, but with the right tire and performance, 17's can hold their own on the street. What kind of tires do you have on your 17's anyway?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, just got of work. Ready to drink a beer. :D

I got a set of Kumho Ecsta Supra 205/40Z R-17's about 5,000 miles ago from a friend brand new. I figured that an R compound tire would be best to go with at the time. I guess they just don't feel right anymore. My wheels aren't spinning out of control, but seems to me like not enough traction on my launches.
Should I stay with these or snatch another set? Or go better?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait a sec.

JT200SX-N-FX said:
17's don't necessarily slow you down, and I'm a leave it at that.
Add to that. I would like to keep the look of the 17's. 14 or 15's won't give you that noticeable a difference since they have less travel around?

·
Hang out wit yo Wang out!
546 Posts
Well dude, it's all in the weight. It says you have Enkei rims, and they are pretty damn light, in fact, your stock wheels probably weigh more than your Enkei's. I have the Kumho's also, and to tell you the truth, I have never chirped the tires. But that's because my 100 horses won't allow that. If you're tryin to race dogg, go with the lower size. If you plan on gettin the turbo like me, keep the 17's. IT'S ALL IN THE POWER!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it would be worth it to buy a smaller and lighter wheel too? My Enkei's do hold their own on the street, but it would be worth my time to throw the smaller wheels on when I go out to race strictly. I can't chirp with my 17's either, but I can with my stockies, but they have some sh!tty tires on them too (dont even know what kind, been awhile since I even took a look at them). I have weighed my Enkeis and they came out to 14 pounds. Used an old scale in my garage and just subtracted my original weight. Would you happen to know how much our stock wheels weigh? If not, first thing im gonna do today is find out. It IS all in the power. Turbo is comming ... just prepping for it. Saving up for a kit and paint job, then planning on going internals to support the turbo and possibly the juice. ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
17's don't slow you down. Yes there not as easy to spin as a 15 but you take off faster without wheel spin. I have 18's on my car now (used to be 19's) and I can blow the tires off my car 1st thru 3rd. Also the reason that you can't cherp the tires is that your clutch is to weak. You need to upgrade to an ACT clutch or upgrade the performance of your car.

1,267 Posts
200'side said:
Damn, just got of work. Ready to drink a beer. :D

I got a set of Kumho Ecsta Supra 205/40Z R-17's about 5,000 miles ago from a friend brand new. I figured that an R compound tire would be best to go with at the time.
Those are not R compound tires, the Victoracers are Kumho's R compound tires.
17's will slow your acceleration, but increase top speed because they change your gear ratios (unless you do proper plus sizing with the tires) You want the lightest wheels possible, and usually anything bigger than a 16 is going to be a lot heavier than what you can find in a 15 or so, that is unless you spend a fortune. Lighter = faster.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Overlooked said:
17's don't slow you down. Yes there not as easy to spin as a 15 but you take off faster without wheel spin. I have 18's on my car now (used to be 19's) and I can blow the tires off my car 1st thru 3rd. Also the reason that you can't cherp the tires is that your clutch is to weak. You need to upgrade to an ACT clutch or upgrade the performance of your car.
I don't know man ... It seems to me they do. Maybe im wrong though. I didnt feel a drastic difference when I put the 17's on and I must correct myself earlier from saying that I haven't chirped because I actually have before. I cant do it regularly but it has been done. Me and my roommate were headed somewhere and I punched it and chirped from first to second. Wasn't the biggest chirp ever but it was there. We just looked at eachother and were like "what the hell, I cant believe it just chirped." I was stoked and tried again but couldn't. I stopped because I didnt want to get on it too much.
Regarding my clutch, I dont think its all that weak. Matter of fact it is fairly brand new. Prolly only have 4 grand on it. No slippage and is grabbing without a problem. ACT might be a stronger clutch, but don't think it has that much relevance.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is it an SE-R? What do you have done?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Adam said:

Those are not R compound tires, the Victoracers are Kumho's R compound tires.
17's will slow your acceleration, but increase top speed because they change your gear ratios (unless you do proper plus sizing with the tires) You want the lightest wheels possible, and usually anything bigger than a 16 is going to be a lot heavier than what you can find in a 15 or so, that is unless you spend a fortune. Lighter = faster.
2 good points.

Damn, I figured they were R compound. Should I go with the Victoracers then for the better traction. Or shoud I go better? (Suggestions? BFG's?) Im lookin to really get off the line and thats what the 17's seem to be doing the opposite for me. So going to a smaller wheel with a good tire is an option that im thinking of going with real soon like today or tommorrow. Alignments not a problem when switching tires, got an uncle in the biz.
Top speed you are correct. I have a friend with a Mustang GT that I hang with on the Freeway going 120-130 (yes, I know stupid but you make good time :eek: ) Whats this about proper plus sizing as well?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Overlooked said:
Is it an SE-R? What do you have done?
Nope ... GA16 and proud of it! LOL :p

Check the sig for whats been done already, just a gist of things. No forced induction ... yet ;)

1,267 Posts
200'side said:

2 good points.

Damn, I figured they were R compound. Should I go with the Victoracers then for the better traction. Or shoud I go better? (Suggestions? BFG's?) Im lookin to really get off the line and thats what the 17's seem to be doing the opposite for me. So going to a smaller wheel with a good tire is an option that im thinking of going with real soon like today or tommorrow. Alignments not a problem when switching tires, got an uncle in the biz.
Top speed you are correct. I have a friend with a Mustang GT that I hang with on the Freeway going 120-130 (yes, I know stupid but you make good time :eek: ) Whats this about proper plus sizing as well?
R compound tires should really only be used when racing. If you put those on as your regular street tire you'd be buying new ones every month. I would say the Falken Azini's are the stickiest street tires you can buy, but they also wear pretty quickly from what I've heard.
The plus sizing is to keep the overall diameter of the wheel and tire the same as it was stock. For example I had 13's from factory with 75 series tires. Going up two sizes to 15's meant I had to get tires with a smaller sidewall, like the 50 series tires I have now. So my 15's with the 50 series are the same diameter as the 13's with the 70 series.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Adam said:
For example I had 13's from factory with 75 series tires. Going up two sizes to 15's meant I had to get tires with a smaller sidewall, like the 50 series tires I have now. So my 15's with the 50 series are the same diameter as the 13's with the 70 series.
Ahhhhh, makes sense. What 50 series tire did you use? Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, from what I gather the 35s are better for acceleration. Im all for that. I think Im going to stick with my 17s just get a set of 35s. Looking for something stickier though. Dont really care about daily wear. Any opinion on the Nitto Extreme Performances?

1,267 Posts
Yeah, that's what I have. I don't like them, but that's me, they're not very sticky, but they're cheap. If you don't care so much about wear I would go with something like the Falken Azinis or maybe the Nitto 555's. I don't know much more about tires except that I can't afford them. Also realize that the 35's are going to give you somewhat of a rough ride since there's very little sidewall. You'll get very sharp steering response though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought I had sharp steering response as it is. Man, I corner better than my roomies 2.5 Imprezza AWD. LOL ;)

I'll have to look into the Falkens. Haven't heard much about them ...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JT200SX-N-FX said:
also with those 35's being so thin, a pothole might bend your rim!!
Shit! And they are all over Southern Cali too. Hmmm ... I will reeavaluate or do my best to go around 'em. As it is, I already know where most of the potholes, dips, etc., are at around my town and most of the area. Now I just have to pay extra attention.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts