Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a truck with BFGoodrich Rugged Trail tires (265/75TR16) tires and am not sure if they need replacing. This is a picture of the tread, does anyone here have a thought on these tires?

·
Registered
277 Posts
they would prob pass inspection but I would change them for the winter

my guess is 5k left on them (don't know the treadwear rating though)

·
Registered
44 Posts
they would prob pass inspection but I would change them for the winter

my guess is 5k left on them (don't know the treadwear rating though)
I'll agree. Lincoln's head is 2/32 of an inch and for a tire that used to have 13/32 of an inch when new, I would say the tires are just about done. Only a true tire depth guage will tell you the right number.

If you are in MA, I too would recommend new tires (Nokians) for winter.

The best tire out of the 4 might be able to serve as a spare, if it fits in the spare location. Basically, those tires in the picture are a few months away from being tire swings.

Just be sure to slow down in bad weather more than you normally do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
it also appears in the tread groove to show signs of dry rotting with all the cracks i see. I dont know about snow (Florida boy) but if they showed signs of weak rain traction, like in daily summer rain storms, i'd be buying new.

Have a nice day
Hwystar1

·
Registered
17 Posts
sliding is more fun, keep em, is what the alaskan in me would say.

but yeah, i agree with b67, you should replace them before the snow flies.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you are in MA, I too would recommend new tires (Nokians) for winter.
On the spot there. Nokian Hakkapeliittas are one of -- if not *the* -- best winter tire out there. Not sure of the laws in MA, but try and get some studs in them too. Only about an extra $20 or so a tire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
On the spot there. Nokian Hakkapeliittas are one of -- if not *the* -- best winter tire out there. Not sure of the laws in MA, but try and get some studs in them too. Only about an extra $20 or so a tire.
The Hakkas are really good winter tires, but I was thinking more along the lines of their all-season WR SUV tire. But if you're gonna do two sets of tires, one summer, one winter, the Hakkas are perfect.

However, for those of us who don't get much white stuff (OH), I think the WR SUV is plenty. Plus they have the built in depth guage in the center rib if the tire. Not many all-seasons get the severe service emblem...not just a "M+S", but the snowflake and mountain.

After 3 years in AK, I am a believer in the Nokian products.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nokians!!!

I too have Nokians. i have 4 WR SUVs, which are the only year-round tire to be rated for snow. They have done right by me, and I would reccomend them to anyone. As for the Hakkas, there is no better tire in the snow, period.

Keep in mind that you will pay $200/ea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts