Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried using different than OEM sized tires to help increase fuel efficiency? Thinking about it!

·
Registered
165 Posts
the only thing that would help you is going to a lighter tire, which means lower profile with the catch being that the extra metal on the rim has to be lighter than the rubber that it is replacing. also going to a narrower tire or a tire with harder rubber, which will have less wet/poor weather traction but less rolling resistance thus improving fuel economy. Going to a larger O/D wont really help since you will be travelling a greater distance with every revolution but it is harder for the vehicle to turn the extra rotational mass.
essentially i dont believe the gain would be much, though every bit counts with fuel costing what it currently does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya! What I was thinking was a narrower tire, for less rolling resistance and a slighlyly thinner tire to run to lower rpm's, ie. from 265*65R16 to 235*85R16. Just a thought as I have to get a new set of tires, so why not think of improving gas milage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
what's the difference in circumference between the two tire sizes? I wouldn't go larger than a 3% change. More than that and you begin to affect your speedo and odo quite a bit.

I've looked at 245/75/16 tires, but those are mostly available in a Heavy Duty format which means a beefier sidewall.

It is tough to find a "light" tire when you need to support 4000+lbs. Going to a lighter wheel design might be more plausible....then again, maybe not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts