Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying another set of after market summer rims for my truck and then use my factory rims for winter tires. That way just swap rims every season, etc.

Only thing is in this day and age all new vehicles have the low tire pressure sensors. Now when I swap the tires the new ones wont have the sensors in them.

One work around is buying new sensors for these new rims as well, but they are about $60 each (bringing that to another $240 extra)

Is there anyway around these sensors. Ive heard people just putting the 4 sensors in the spare tire so the computer gets the single, etc and wont be constantly telling you have no air.

I find these things a pain in the ass myself. Some places wont do tire repairs because of these sensors because they may damage them,etc. I check my tire pressure every Sunday so I have no need for these things.

has anyone found a work around, beside buying 4 new sensors

·
Registered
737 Posts
Try just putting one wheel/tire w/sensor in the bed and make sure it is properly aired up. I think as long as the system does not see any "low" condition" pressures the spare might keep the system happy (as long as it is aired up). If that works then mount it where the spare goes. I'm not totally sure it needs four signals to keep the light off, but I do know the low tire does not have to be on an axle to set the TPMS off.

Another alternative is to move the sensors to the new wheels and since I am 4x4 I usually air down anyways. Post back with what you find out. Thanks, Z

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try just putting one wheel/tire w/sensor in the bed and make sure it is properly aired up. I think as long as the system does not see any "low" condition" pressures the spare might keep the system happy (as long as it is aired up). If that works then mount it where the spare goes. I'm not totally sure it needs four signals to keep the light off, but I do know the low tire does not have to be on an axle to set the TPMS off.

Another alternative is to move the sensors to the new wheels and since I am 4x4 I usually air down anyways. Post back with what you find out. Thanks, Z
I will try the one sensor thing, but since it receives signals from each tire, I dont think just one will work. If it doesnt receive the signal from the other 3 it will probably think either somethings wrong with the sensor, or act like it is flat, etc. But its worht a shot

Moving the sensors to the new wheels isnt an option. I will be having 2 sets of rims, my news ones for summer and my factory ones with winter tires. That way I can just swap them with each season. if I move the sensors all the time, that defeats the purpose of me just doing the tires mysefl. I will have to take the vehicle in to the garage each time I want to swap my tires

·
Registered
737 Posts
"I find these things a pain in the ass myself. Some places wont do tire repairs because of these sensors because they may damage them,etc. I check my tire pressure every Sunday so I have no need for these things."

So just put the sensors on the wheels you will use the most. I just figured it would have been the "Summer" tires/wheels. Without the sensors it should only be a light on in the dash and most people I have heard just tape it off (those being the ones that can't stand the sight of it) as the audible alarm is only an initial warning.

You say you want a work around and you have no use for the TPMS and yet you have not heard of an option that suits you? I'm a little confused of your true goal, needs and what's acceptable.

Beware of buying the extra set since the system reads four sensors and may only be able to handle four sensors, then after which you would have to go to the dealer whenever you change wheels/tires. At least my suggestion is free to find out and free to maintain.

Now if you put all four sensors in one spare like you say you have heard you will still be rendering the entire system useless, for both sets no less! Again, my suggestion gives you the ability to use the system with at least one set of wheels/tires (If It Works For You). You just have to make a choice of when you consider which most beneficial, Summer or Winter... oh wait, you have "no need for these things" L0L

Best of luck in your decision, Z

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So just put the sensors on the wheels you will use the most. I just figured it would have been the "Summer" tires/wheels. Without the sensors it should only be a light on in the dash and most people I have heard just tape it off (those being the ones that can't stand the sight of it) as the audible alarm is only an initial warning.

You say you want a work around and you have no use for the TPMS and yet you have not heard of an option that suits you? I'm a little confused of your true goal, needs and what's acceptable.

Beware of buying the extra set since the system reads four sensors and may only be able to handle four sensors, then after which you would have to go to the dealer whenever you change wheels/tires. At least my suggestion is free to find out and free to maintain.

Now if you put all four sensors in one spare like you say you have heard you will still be rendering the entire system useless, for both sets no less! Again, my suggestion gives you the ability to use the system with at least one set of wheels/tires (If It Works For You). You just have to make a choice of when you consider which most beneficial, Summer or Winter... oh wait, you have "no need for these things" L0L

Best of luck in your decision, Z

I didnt think my post was very confusing. :confused: The tape thing would work for the dash, but not for the long beep every time you start the vehcile up. That would get annoying very quick.

Putting the sensors in the tires that I use the most wouldnt work either, because up here winter is almost half the year.

My goal is to not buy another set of sensors for me new rims, because its going to cost about $240, and I dont want to spend $240 on something I dont use anyway. The other goal is to basically fool the onboard in thinking the sensors are on the tires when they arent.

Has anyone just put all 4 sensors in the spare tire so they would still send the signal. Not sure if that would work or not.

if the one sensor thing works like you suggested, thats great. But Im sure it wont as its not receiving the signal from the other 3, so the system will show low pressure and go off

Im not worried about the system, as I dont use the tire monitoring system. I just want to fool it so the light and the beep dont come on

·
Registered
737 Posts
"Has anyone just put all 4 sensors in the spare tire so they would still send the signal. Not sure if that would work or not."

Yes, that would work.

"Im not worried about the system, as I dont use the tire monitoring system. I just want to fool it so the light and the beep dont come on"

The beep only happens once (should), initially on '05s.

The only thing you have left is dealing with the light on in the dash and since the sensors are dealer programmed a second set will not work unless you have it reprogrammed when you switch tires/wheels.

Also note that the sensors run on batteries so when they die you will be back where you started, hence my original posted suggestion. I'm just not sure when the sensors send a signal... but I believe it is only when it reads low or high and not when it is in the good range for sake of battery life.

Post back your results, Z

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well finally got my summer rims and tires installed, without the extra set of sensors.

I was ready for when I started the truck for the sensor to go off, but then I realized I still has the factory set of tires and my winters in the box, so I thought it was still getting a signal from them.

Next day I got in , ready for the light and beep to go off, and it didnt. Ok, maybe its still getting a signal from the tires in the garage. Drove around all day, nothing. Been without tire sensors for 5 days and still no light or beep.

Could it be that since its not getting a signal at all, that the onboard turns off the light and beep. Or could it still be getting a feed from the other tires in the garage.

But that would make sense when Im away from my garage

Either way, Im happy that there is no light or beep. Maybe I discovered something

·
Registered
5 Posts
The tire pressure sensor doesn't actually measure the tire pressure. It uses the wheel speed sensor (part of the ABS) to measure very minute differences in rotational speed between all four tires. When it senses a difference from what a nominally good tire is, it will turn on the tire pressure light. Note that you will need to check the tire pressure in all tires, as it doesn't indicate which tire is the problem. Once the tire pressure is adjusted, reset the light according to the owner's manual. You'll also need to do this after changing to a spare.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tire pressure sensor doesn't actually measure the tire pressure. It uses the wheel speed sensor (part of the ABS) to measure very minute differences in rotational speed between all four tires. When it senses a difference from what a nominally good tire is, it will turn on the tire pressure light. Note that you will need to check the tire pressure in all tires, as it doesn't indicate which tire is the problem. Once the tire pressure is adjusted, reset the light according to the owner's manual. You'll also need to do this after changing to a spare.
So if its not getting a signal at all, maybe that turned it off. Im fine with it not working, I never used it anyway

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to hear it, keep us updated if anything changes. Z
I was ready for the beep when I started it. Its been almost a week and nothing. I think because its getting no readings what so ever, its just shut off

1 - 11 of 11 Posts