Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in the owners manual that you take the front tires and move them to the back and take the back two and chris-cross them to the front.

I've never heard of this way of rotating. It's always move the back to front and vice-versa.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
The way the owners manual says is correct. Just putting tires from front to back wouldn't do anything.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
Depends if they are directional or not. If they are directional they will only go one way so passenger back goes to passenger front and vice versa. If they are not directional then you can criss-cross them.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
JAMESZ said:
Depends if they are directional or not. If they are directional they will only go one way so passenger back goes to passenger front and vice versa. If they are not directional then you can criss-cross them.

You pop the tires off and turn them around.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
Take them off and turn them around? THEY ARE DIRECTIONAL! They have specific sides to go on. There is a specific side of the tire that is the inside and a specific side for the outside. Your logic is flawed. Don't think you know something before you post MAKE sure you know something.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
THE TREAD IS DIRECTIONAL! NOT THE TIRE WALLS!

TAKE A DIRECTIONAL TIRE SAY IT'S LIKE THIS |/\/\|

IF YOUR BROUGHT IT TO THE OTHER SIDE WITHOUT FLIPPING IT'S NOW LIKE THIS |\/\/|

TAKE THE TIRE OFF THE RIM. TURN IT AROUND SO THAT THE TIREWALL THAT IS USUALLY NOT VISIBLE AND TURN IT AROUND TO WHERE IT IS. BOOM TREAD IS LIKE
|/\/\|

I've done plenty of tire rotations working at a shop. It's not as difficult as your making it seem here.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
JAMESZ said:
Take them off and turn them around? THEY ARE DIRECTIONAL! They have specific sides to go on. There is a specific side of the tire that is the inside and a specific side for the outside.
I've never heard of this before, please post proof. Directional refers to the tread only, not the sidewalls.......There may be an arrow on the sidewall stating direction of rotation. That's all. Asleep is correct on how to rotate.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
I've never heard of this before, please post proof. Directional refers to the tread only, not the sidewalls.......There may be an arrow on the sidewall stating direction of rotation. That's all. Asleep is correct on how to rotate.
Have you ever noticed how your tires say mount this side on the inside and the other side says outside? Go look at directional tires and look for what I am saying. Also I have never rotated tires by taking them off the wheel. So maybe you guys should show proof.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
JAMESZ said:
Have you ever noticed how your tires say mount this side on the inside and the other side says outside? Go look at directional tires and look for what I am saying. Also I have never rotated tires by taking them off the wheel. So maybe you guys should show proof.

I've never seen directional tires with tire wall directions also. Please give some links to some. And I want to see proof on the site that it has to show a certain side wall.

I'll take a tire off my car tomorrow just for you..... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
JAMESZ said:
No, I've never seen that before. In any case, swapping tires around and keeping the directional arrow pointing the correct way, shoud still have the inside on theinside, and the outside on the outside, if you think about it..... ;) All you are doing is changing the side the tire is on.....

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
I guess I am wrong. Maybe it is just every directional tire I have ever owned (I have directionals on all of my cars except for the tires that are currently on the stock Z wheels) and they all say mount this side inside. I would take pictures right now, but I am three hours away from my garage.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
JAMESZ said:
Next time I am in proximity of my Jetta I will take pictures of the RE950s on the car.

I'll show you that my Bridgestone Fuzions which are directional doesn't matter which wall is showing.

Most tires are bi-symetrical and either way wouldn't matter which wall is showing.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
That would make those tires corner specific, and basically unrotateable, which would never happen on street driven tires. Track tires, and very expensive tires, maybe.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
That would make those tires corner specific, and basically unrotateable, which would never happen on street driven tires. Track tires, and very expensive tires, maybe.
I can swap back to front and thats all I do. Z gets a criss cross pattern. Everyone I know just swaps their directionals back to front; not criss cross like non-directionals.

I will accept it can be done, but nobody criss-crosses with directionals. It costs to much and it runs a higher risk of damaging wheels. If you do it maybe you are off in another world, but I have never known anyone who criss-crosses directional tires. My RE950s though can't be rotated except back to front.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
JAMESZ said:
I can swap back to front and thats all I do. Z gets a criss cross pattern. Everyone I know just swaps their directionals back to front; not criss cross like non-directionals.

I will accept it can be done, but nobody criss-crosses with directionals. It costs to much and it runs a higher risk of damaging wheels. If you do it maybe you are off in another world, but I have never known anyone who criss-crosses directional tires. My RE950s though can't be rotated except back to front.

We always criss crossed when I worked at the shop... Otherwise the tire would have excessive wear and a horible wear angle.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
JAMESZ said:

Any more, that's how rotation is done anyway. It was the good old days with bias-ply tires that rotation was done crisscross, to keep tire wear somewhat even. I'd say with the camber issues the Z31s have in the rear, criss-crossing might actually be a bad idea. I beleive most manufacturers stopped specifying crisscross rotation sometime in the late 80s anyway.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Any more, that's how rotation is done anyway. It was the good old days with bias-ply tires that rotation was done crisscross, to keep tire wear somewhat even. I'd say with the camber issues the Z31s have in the rear, criss-crossing might actually be a bad idea. I beleive most manufacturers stopped specifying crisscross rotation sometime in the late 80s anyway.
I'd say criss crossing the rear like that would make the tire wear flat like it should instead of having an bad angle that the camber would make.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
We always criss crossed when I worked at the shop... Otherwise the tire would have excessive wear and a horible wear angle.
That's more related to camber issues anyway. Cars like the IS300 have that problem.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
What shop? Your 15 you can't even work that much yet. I don't know of any shops that do that. If the wear angles are so bad why don't most people criss-cross them? When I rotate my directionals it is just front to back, also everyone I know does the same thing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.