Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great people of the Forum! I have a slight dilemma that I would like to have a little clarification on and if anyone here has/had the same problem. I have a 98 Nissan Maxima SE, with the 215/55/16 package, I went to the store to look at a set of tires and they don't have the size that is needed..so without busting the wallet and getting new rims and looking at other same size tires, what tires (size) can I get to be safe??? I was thinking that I could get the 245/45/16's and still have a great ride, am I correct in this assumption? This is all new to me and I would appreciate any direction that you have!

Thanks!

Svanwise

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt93SE said:
on the stock rims, I wouldn't go wider than 225/50/16. anything wider than that just isn't designed to fit on a 7" rim.

With the 225/50/16 tire calculation come to 24.85 inches, whereas the OEM tires 215/55/16 are at 25.31, then the new tires that I am looking at is 245/50/16 are 25.64 inches, so I am trying to get as close as possible to the rolling radius of the original...but what you are saying is that I won't have enough room in the wheel well??? What would you suggest??

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
That amounts to only a 1.8% difference in speedo, which is 1.25mph when you're going 70. you won't even notice that much, and you won't see the difference in the wheel well as far as fender gap.

the problem with going wider is that the wheels are only 7" wide, and the 235 width tires aren't made for a wheel that narrow.
215mm = 8.46"
225mm = 8.86"
235mm = 9.25"
245mm = 9.65"

So you'd be mounting a 9.65" wide tire on a 7" wide wheel. not good. causes issues with the sidewalls being bent inward too much and possible problems with tread separation on the edges. not what I call fun when it happens on the highway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt93SE said:
That amounts to only a 1.8% difference in speedo, which is 1.25mph when you're going 70. you won't even notice that much, and you won't see the difference in the wheel well as far as fender gap.

the problem with going wider is that the wheels are only 7" wide, and the 235 width tires aren't made for a wheel that narrow.
215mm = 8.46"
225mm = 8.86"
235mm = 9.25"
245mm = 9.65"

So you'd be mounting a 9.65" wide tire on a 7" wide wheel. not good. causes issues with the sidewalls being bent inward too much and possible problems with tread separation on the edges. not what I call fun when it happens on the highway.

So what does that really mean?? If I get a different tire all together everyone is telling me that it is going to throw off the speedo, and something in the transmission, and all these other elements that I was not prepared for.... Is this true??

What sizes can I get and not have a total car meltdown?

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
I already told you what size to get.

go to tirerack.com and punch in your vehicle info. it will spit out some of the available tire sizes for you.. discount tire's website also does quite well.

to keep from throwing off your speedo, all you're worried about is the overall tire diameter. make sure it's close to factory, but a couple % off isn't bad. it's not like our speedos are accurate anyway. at 60mph, they're usually 3-4mph off already, so the tires changing them 1-3mph aren't much, as long as you make sure that won't put you going 70 when your speedo says 60... thus, don't go too much larger on tire diameter and you're good.

also play aroudn with this:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Matt93SE said:
I already told you what size to get.

go to tirerack.com and punch in your vehicle info. it will spit out some of the available tire sizes for you.. discount tire's website also does quite well.

to keep from throwing off your speedo, all you're worried about is the overall tire diameter. make sure it's close to factory, but a couple % off isn't bad. it's not like our speedos are accurate anyway. at 60mph, they're usually 3-4mph off already, so the tires changing them 1-3mph aren't much, as long as you make sure that won't put you going 70 when your speedo says 60... thus, don't go too much larger on tire diameter and you're good.

also play aroudn with this:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Matt93SE,

Thanks for the information! Just one more quick question.... would the 225/50/16 rub against the inside of the wheel well?? I am thinking of getting the Yokohama Avid V4S... Do you think that is a good tire to get the Nissan 98?? Once you answer this one I am off this subject and onto another that your web page depicts with the headlights... which in my opinion is stellar!!

Thanks!

Svanwise.
Matt

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
225 should be fine with no issues. If you get wider wheels with the right offset, I've sene people run up to 275 width without rubbing... but there's no need for that unless you have 400+hp!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hell, the stock 16" 5-stars are only 6.5" wide, not 7"...

225/50/16 or 225/55/16 are as wide as I would go on the stock wheels, period. I think it's difficult to go much wider than 245 or 255 in front on a 95-99 Maxima... 275's are only for the back, which is really silly looking on a front wheel drive car. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts