Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day to all,

I am the proud owner of a 1992 NX1600 (the one with the targa roof), and i'd like some help on engine tuning. I'd like to gain 20 -30 hp. How hard is it to tune the carburator? Is timing advance recommended with carb GA16s?
The only mod i've done on it so far is that i've replaced the exhaust from the cat back with a more free silencer and a Sebring muffler...i've noticed better torque trough the whole range...

I'm thinking of installing a K&N filter element...or should i look into CAI?

Also how do Bosch super4 plugs compare against stock NGK plugs?

Any help would be really appreciated....:)

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
JIM said:
How hard is it to tune the carburator? Is timing advance recommended with carb GA16s?

HAHA, good question. :p Wish I could help you here.

I'm thinking of installing a K&N filter element...or should i look into CAI?

If you live in an area without constant flooding (I'm assuming Athens isn't the rainiest place in the world), and you are careful about what water you do drive in, then I'd save for the CAI in a heartbeat. It's around $50 US for a flat panel K&N and about $200 US for a Hotshot or Place Racing CAI. The latter is worth every penny... get the CAI. :)

Also how do Bosch super4 plugs compare against stock NGK plugs?

I'm not 100% sure on the GA16s carburated engine, but I'd stick with good ol' NGK plugs (copper or plats), OEM wires, and OEM cap 'n'n rotor. The Nissan components have been tested to perform the best. Bosch and other brands just don't do as well for Nissans.

I hope my info has helped you. Good luck!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that, its just that here in Greece and generally in the rest of Europe there's not much on 1.6Ls...
not much rain either... :)

looks like i'll be experimenting with the timing, at least i always use 96 -98 ocactane fuel...

is there a higher ouput 1.6 -1.8L Nissan engine that could be an easy swap installed in the NX?

i've heard of the CA18DET but i think the ones that came to Europe were in 180 and 200 SXs which are RWD...

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
JIM said:
looks like i'll be experimenting with the timing, at least i always use 96 -98 ocactane fuel...

Gee, must be rough. I'm stuck with 91 octane. I want my 92 back! WAAAAAA :( :D

is there a higher ouput 1.6 -1.8L Nissan engine that could be an easy swap installed in the NX?

This might be of some help... Nissans Engines

Well there's the common GA16DE non-carb motor that is found in the USDM Sentras, NX1600s, and 200SX 1.6Ls... 110-115hp and 108tq. There is a SR16VE made in Japan that is just wicked (VVL motor, has around 170hp and 120tq... around those numbers). If you are looking for a swap, why not try an SR20DE? Pretty sure those made it's way into Europe via the Primera. Sorry, not up to date on which engines made it to the European countries.

Is your car a 5-speed? If so, the swap will be much easier.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mate, theres a few 2.0 nx100s, sunny gtis amd primera gt's here...
however we have a dreaded tax system that basically says The bigger your engine...the more you pay :(

thats why a sr20 equipped NX100 costs exacty the same as one with the GA16 in it...weird isn't it?

so i'm trying to get past that with either modding the good old GA16 or swapping it for something else...

because i do a lot of long distance driving at an average speed of 150 - 160 km's, 100~mph i was thinking of a low pressure turbo nissan engine...but the CA18 is propably too hard to fit in the NX...

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
There are a few BB members with CA18DETs on board... one may be in a B12 Sentra. I don't see a problem with fitting the CA18DET into the NX. Since the GA16s is not a very popular motor, and with it little to no aftermarket help (that I know of), it would be very hard to make it a quick car without a lot of time spent in different setups, dynos, etc etc. It all depends on what type of power you want. Once you figure out what you want AND see what is available, you just have to come up with the money. Oh, and of course, do the modding/swap. :cool:

That sucks about the country's engine bias stuff. But you have to follow the rules... I commend you for doing that. :)

·
In class
140 Posts
Do you think it would be possible to put the CA18DE in a 1600 NX with a 5-speed? I'd love to, if it is possible. Any advice on how to go about it? I know some versions were made for frontwheel drive cars.

·
Post Whore in Training
191 Posts
JIM, since you already have a carb motor, why don't you get a individual carb intake. Tuning then may be a B!^ch, but i've seen those thing go crazy on other japanese motors, all sorts fo torque for some reason. with the right set of cams, tuned timing, and balanced bottom end you should put down some really respectable numbers in a NA car.
Just an Idea, if i didn't live in SMOG NAZI heaven, i thought about doing it... just thought.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
individual carb intake?

would anyone know where i can get more info on individual carb intakes?

i'm kind of getting a bit sick of looking of ways to do up the old GA16DS, so i am drifting towards the allmighty SR20.

Also, lately when i start up the car, a bit of black smoke comes out (cold or warm). Mechanic reckons its unburned fuel. Over-rich mixture perhaps?

·
Registered
95 Posts
GA16DS wow the last carburated GA engine beside the GA15DS.
It has only 70kw(93hp).

And Jim, can you send me a picture of your GA16DS engine.
My e-mail is [email protected]
Thanks very much.

·
Autech SR20 on the way
134 Posts
how's this project going then?

you could pick up a JDM ga16de and tubocharge it. I've got two spare ga16de's downstairs and if you dont mind shipping costs from Australia, I'd sell one for $150 Aust. Interested? The working model is from the Nissan Pulsar N14 model and has about 180 000k's on it. shipping will be your major cost here obviously but the swap will be so easy it's not funny. All you'll need to do then is find an ECU and loom for it as mine is still in use with my other ga16. I bought the n14 one to do a frankenstien project with my blown N15 ga16 and never ended up having the time to mess with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts