Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Don't know much about timing a car and was just wondering how i would time my 94 Sentra Le. I had to take the distributor off and tried lining everything back up exactly but it wasn't exact. Now it's running a little different, im sure im just a few degrees off but i wasjust wondering what i have to disconnect etc to time my car.
Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
first you have to put your engine's number one piston at tdc, (top dead center). Then you will put your distributor in and turn it until the rotor points at the number on plug wire, (the plug wire that goes to your number one piston). Then put your cap back on and you should be pretty close, you still might have to turn it slightly but not much. Oh yeah dont forget the number one has to be tdc on the intake stroke. You could also check it with a timing light. Hope this helps.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
heres the PROPER procedure to do a timing adjustment:

1. start engine and run till it reaches operating temp..idle has to be below 1000rpm's
2. rev the motor three times to past 3k rpm's under no load(no radio, dome lights, etc)
3. turn off the engine and disconnect the throttle position sensor..its a brown plug on the throttle body.
4. start the engine again and rev it three times past 3k rpm's under no load again....this will lock it in timing mode
5. connect your timing light while making sure the inductive pickup is connected to the number one spark plug wire. now aim the light to the crank pulley and you should see marks on the side of it....next the marks is a stationary pointer that points to the marks that shows the timing of the car.
6. loosen the distributor nuts and you can turn the distributor towards the rear of the car to advance the timing or toward the front to retard the timing
7. after u reach a timing you wish, tighten the nuts on the distributor, turn the car off and hook the throttle position sensor back up....and youre done

·
Registered
72 Posts
MsifitOfMusic said:
thanks a lot guys,

What is the "Stock" degrees?? Or Whats The Best To Set It At?
If you want a little "free" extra power, set it to 15 degrees, but make sure you run premium gas (91 or better), or else you will get detonation. If you want to keep it stock it is 10 degrees, and you can run 87 with that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
timing marks

the timing marks should be on the crankshaft pulley. If you can't see it clean it off with some type of solvent. By rotating the pulley by hand it'll give you an idea of what it looks like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts