Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Infiniti G20. I want to advance the timming, I do all the correct things but when its time to disconnect the TPS i do that and then when I start it up again and the idle is supposed to go down to around 800 it goes up to 1500. I tried revving past 3000 a couple of times and still nothing.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Unless you're OBDII you don't need to disconnect the TPS.

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
OBDII

i am not sure about when Nissan came out with the OBD2, but it was it came federally mandated in the year of 96 to have them. the earliest i have seen is a 94, but cant remember what make it was. i am almost sure yours is OBD1. this is what the connector would look like:

also a label under the hood that may be there and it will look simliar like this:Label

Also, make sure the car is warmed up before you time it. Go from there.

·
Red line chaser
814 Posts
OBD2 didn't make it's debut until the '96 model year. Your '93 is not OBD2. Guaranteed, unless you swapped in a '96 or newer motor without telling us.:D

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I'm pretty sure that OBDII started in '94 in the G20.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sometimes the AAC valve has to be unplugged for the idle to drop down. The AAC valve is on the passenger side of the motor, near the oil filter. There are 2 sensors in that area, one is a brown plug, the other has 2 wires(black and red). You want the brown connector. Here's where you need to look:

·
Registered
413 Posts
wickedsr20 said:
OBD2 didn't make it's debut until the '96 model year. Your '93 is not OBD2. Guaranteed, unless you swapped in a '96 or newer motor without telling us.:D
toolapcfan is correct, the P10 G20 had OBD-II in '94. OBD-I was '91-'93('93.5).

But, you do have to remove the TPS on all SR20DE's to adjust your timing no matter what year or OBD.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Since I have to remove the TPS and my AAC valve didn't lower my idle enough can someone PLEASE tell me how to lower the idle, on a 1993 Infiniti G20, and or maybe email me or post a diagram. I NEED HELP!!! thank you very much.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It might be that someone put the base idle at 1500 rpm. Have you tried to lower the idle?

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
FlamedG20 said:
Since I have to remove the TPS and my AAC valve didn't lower my idle enough can someone PLEASE tell me how to lower the idle, on a 1993 Infiniti G20, and or maybe email me or post a diagram. I NEED HELP!!! thank you very much.
I will try to lower my idle but I need to find out how first if anyone can tell me.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
toolapcfan said:
Unless you're OBDII you don't need to disconnect the TPS.
No you need to OBDII or not! Just don't turn off the motor. When you turn off the motor with the TPS disconnected the motor trys to relearn the new idle voltage, sees nothing and freaks out. Disconnect while the motor is running. Rev 3x past 3000, the motor will lock into timing set mode.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
lower idle

You may want to check the adjustment of the throttle body. I replaced my IAC valve and I still couldn't bring my idle down low enough. It turned out that my throttle body was adjusted in such a way as to allow far too much air through. So, my idle was around 1200. After the adjustment, I turned the IAC valve adjusting screw 2 counter-clockwise turns and VOILA! the idle is now at 800RPM.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
No you need to OBDII or not!
I was thinking of the GA16DE when I said that. Should have corrected myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts