Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum. Have a '96 KA24DE P/U, 170K miles. Hoping to get some advice before I go spending money...

I just replaced the timing chain, tensioner, guides, water pump. Got the motor back together and it wouldn't run without stalling out. Couldn't move the distributor enough to get it running smooth so pulled the oil pump end and rotated the shaft a couple teeth. Now it runs but it runs rough and when I check timing off the #1 plug wire, the marks are 180 degrees from the timing pin and the #4 plug wire is timed very close to the pin. Its not backfiring out the intake like if it really was 180 out, just runs rough like the timings not quite right.

I automatically doubted my re-install but heres what I know:
#1 cyl valves were definitely closed, crank was at #1 TDC, timing chain marks lined up fine. Checked compression and get 140-150 in all 4 cyls. Getting good spark on all 4 plugs.

The CEL was on for rear O2 sensor before I swapped the chain but it was running fine so don't think it would be that.

I am leaning toward cam position sensor in the distributor but thats an expensive guess. Does anyone have any suggestions, or at least anything I could check first?

Thanks, Roy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
little more info

Just want to add that if I put the #1cyl at TDC, the timing marks on the crank pulley line up with the pin and the rotor does point to the correct position for the #1 plug wire (lines up with the spot I marked when taking the dizzy out). Thought maybe somehow it was firing on exhaust stroke TDC so I rotated the dizzy shaft 180, wouldn't even start. The only way it will run is the setup I have it right now with the timing marks 180 degrees out.

Everything seems like it is physically set up right. I have been told that if the chain jumped a couple links the valves would be open enough to show low compression.

Basically, if my dizzy was adjusted far enough to get the marks back where they should be, the engine would not run. Is my timing really that far off or is there something else going on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have another question... If i pull my rocker cover off and look at the cam sprocket, will the "odd colored" chain link ever line up on the mark on the sprocket again once the engine turns? Or is that only for getting set up to make sure the marks are the correct number of teeth apart?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Make sure the vaccum line for the o2 is connected. I overlooked it at startup, and went through a list of checks before I realized.

It wont run without stalling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found the vacuum line to the black box on the top left of the timing cover wasn't hooked up. I had checked vacuum lines but that one was hidden. It fixed my problem, truck runs great now. Timing marks are where they should be.

I don't really understand how the vacuum could effect the ignition timing. If somebody could explain that would be great!

Thanks for all your help - Roy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts