Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm kind of new to all this stuff, but from what i read here, the first mod you should do is advance the timing. from reading all these posts, i'm pretty confident i can do this myself in my driveway, but i dont yet have a timing light. i'll probably pick one up this weekend, but have no idea what i need to look for. i'm sure this is a stupid question.... but are they basicly all the same? can i just pick up a $30 light and i'm good to go?

thanks everone for your help in advance... and any tips on advancing the timing would be appreciated.

Scott

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
99.se.ltd said:
please run a tank or 2 of premium BEFORE you advance the timing.
figured i would need to do that, so i've been using 92 octane for the last four fill-ups. also waited till the gas light came on before filling up. thanks though

N

·
0 Posts
yeah, that is good advice to run premium octane fuel before doing the timing advance.....you can get a timing light for about 30-40 at any autoparts store, read the instructions at sentra.net and youre ready to go. youll feel the difference:D

N

·
0 Posts
lol, yeah that sux, but craftsman is a good brand and it'll probably last a lot longer than some of these other brands. how much did u get it for?:D

N

·
0 Posts
first off, its a well known fact that all crafstman products carry a lifetime warranty....

·
Registered
45 Posts
probably a stupid question, but would it be cheaper to go to a shop and have them do it rather than spend the money on a timing light?

anyone know what a garage would charge? probably a lot just for wasting their time but i thought id ask anyway

·
Registered
553 Posts
I would think it would be cheaper to do it yourself. Another thing is, you wouldn't be able to tell if they actually advanced it. I'd be too afraid they would sit on their @$$ for half an hour and charge you for it.

N

·
0 Posts
yeah, what the fuck, u cant trust mechanics nowadayz, they'll fuck u over without a condom.........u either have to know a mechanic or do it yourself to be able to trust their asses:mad:

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
see, that's the mentality i have to put up with everyday, i do honest work and the general idea is still the same, anyway, i'd do it for free if you stop on by houston and have a b14, heck i like nissans that much, and support the people behind it and the wheel..........and yeah i bought mine from sears, with the dial in the back, cost like 70, and snap-on wants 450 for the one with almost the same function, saved myself some money for the car fund....

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
First off, I am going to move this to a more appropiate section.

As for you nissanracer805, mechanic is an oldschool term. Nowadays with all of the training we do and the eduaction we have, we are technicians. If you and your attidude ever come to my shop for for an oil change, I may just "forget" to put the oil back in. j/k LOL. Us techs are not the ones who "f" you over, its the shop management that does it. Trust me, we take pride in our work. We have trained long and hard to get our certifications, and we want to keep a good rep.

Oh Yeah, just about any timming light that works is good enough.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
that is so true, i didn't bust my a$$ through school and excessive training and hours of updates to be called a "grease monkey", no, but a "grease monkey with a cool looking timing light",j/k.........form sears, where else??(such an ad)......

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
azkicker0027 said:
that is so true, i didn't bust my a$$ through school and excessive training and hours of updates to be called a "grease monkey", no, but a "grease monkey with a cool looking timing light",j/k.........form sears, where else??(such an ad)......
Or one that has to use the shop timming light, like broke ass me. LOL

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
azkicker0027 said:
and yeah i bought mine from sears, with the dial in the back, cost like 70, and snap-on wants 450 for the one with almost the same function, saved myself some money for the car fund....
yeah, that's the one I have. I guess the dial is kinda pointless for my app. but it's a beaut.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does advansing the timing hinder daily driving in any way??? Such as idle?????or will it run about the same only better:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts