Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good people of the world.
I had the leaking head gasket that plagues the Sentra. Of course me not knowing a whole lot, I started pulling the car appart. I made note of where everything was in order to put it all back where they came from.
My issue is.. The timing gears. I pulled the gears from the chain without making not of location and didn't even pull it up on top dead center. :balls:
Can enyone supply me with a nice clear image of the timing marks to where they belong and where exactly is TDC?

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,236 Posts
unfortunately phatg20.net is down so i cant get an FSM to get you the diagram.
I expect its the same as either the GA and SR, does it have two timing chains or one ?
All is ok, so long as the valves and pistons are not rotated out of sync.
remove the cams...
rotate the crank so its at TDC.
Now note that you have two pistons where they can hit the valve....
you will see a mark on the sprocket. this lines up with the chain. I suggest you move the crank to Before TDC so the valves cant hit anything, 90 degrees all pistons will be half way.
position the cams at the correct points, TDC firing on number one. install cams
Now gently rotate the crank to TDC number one.
The chain marks should now line up as below for example...NOTE this NOT a QG diagram.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Well i looked up the parts and it has one chain, which makes it simpler...
so it looks like the SR chain layout

·
Registered
4,236 Posts

THIS IS THE SR20 NOT QG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Yes, it has 1 chain. I hear tell about markings on the chain itself for reference, but I haven't found anything.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Look for different color links on the chain.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the chain out and carefully inspected it. I found 1 black link. Should there be more? If not, what position should it be in?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Ok, i found a 2001 sentra FSM on other computer, if you want it i will send you a link via PM

·
Registered
4,236 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I pulled the chain out and carefully inspected it. I found 1 black link. Should there be more? If not, what position should it be in?
Yes according to the FSM.
Look for a round dot or a colored link.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, thanks to the GREAT info you guys provided, the car is back together and running again.
Now, next problem(s).
just after starting the car, the check engine light came on. Of course it has been going on and off for months. Problem is with that, is I can't use a scanner to scan for the codes to see whats wrong. Tried 3 different scanners and they all say "Vihicle not responding". I've checked for the constant on and power on on the OBD2 diagnostic port. Both are working. Is there anything else I should check that could get the connector working again? I found out how to check the codes, clear the codes and do an idle relearn. Unfortunately, the check engine light doesn't stay off long enough to perform the idle relearn. Codes must be clear in order to perform this. Can't take it to Nissan becaus they have to plug in. If the port isn't working, it would be a waist of $105 for them to attempt it. Or then pay them $105 hr to find out why it isn't working. In a couple days when I get back to the car, I'll write the codes down and post them to find out what the deal is with that.
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
yes manually read the codes and post them, I would post in a new thread.
What do the other link markings look like ??...

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey how hard was it to do your timing chain and guides????
and did u have to pull the motor out???? or can u just do it in spot, on jack stands???? is their motor free clerance or fucked if it skips the timing chain???
mine are starting to make the infamouse tapping noise
:wtf:
oh btw i have a 2001 sentra gxe

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Well the GA is interference, I assume the QG is as well, anybody ??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts